1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need to be interviewed again when going from 1 year Fixed Term to Permanent?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Blessing9, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hello,

Please can you let me know your views or knowledge on the following:

I was interviewed for a job last year that was advertised as permanent, but when called up by the Headteacher she said although they had advertised the job as permanent they wanted to offer me the job on a 1 year fixed term contract in the first instance.

I had not worked as a teacher for 2 years (due to maternity leave and a year out to look after my child) and for only 3 years previous to this, so the HT said they wanted to ensure I returned successfully to teaching. So I thought hey ho, I like the school, the HOD seems lovely and if I hate it and find I can't cope I will be able to bail out without seeming really unprofessional, so I agreed to the contract.

However today, I was informed by the HT's PA, all happy and smiling, that they were re-advertising the post this Friday and she would pass on the details to me.

I am bit confused, as I have slaved hard all year in the school and was told if I performed well, I would be made permanent. I have the email from the Headteacher to confirm this.

Is this the normal process you have to go through i.e. be interviewed twice or could they automatically make me permanent without re-advertising after being on a contract for 1 year.

I don't thnk I have done anything to annoy them and have worked really hard since being there. I feel resentful after all my effort, having to re-apply, but if this is the norm what else can I do?

Your thoughts or knowledge on this would be really helpful.

Thanks

2. Unfortunately, it does sound to me as if they are not 100% sure of you and want to keep their options open. I can think of no other reason why they would change a perm job to a fixed term one, or why they would re-advertise it at the end of that term, as this would involve unnecessary advertising costs given that they already have someone. It sounds to me as if you might be better valued somewhere else. Really sorry not to be more reassuring.

3. Hi, firstly I am not sure that schools are allowed to employ you on a temporary basis in order to assess your performance, especially if it was initially advertised as permanent.
    Secondlly, I was in a similar situation working on a fixed term contract and then the job changed to permanent so I had to go through the interview process again, I got the job in the end but has to go through the motions along with other applicants.
    I would give your union a call to check both points, it wont hurt to have a little chat to find out where you stand. Sorry I cant help more, good luck [​IMG]

4. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I'm afraid schools often use this strategy to fill a gap they can't fill for 1 year, then give themselves time to find someone they feel would 'fit' the position...often it is more about their prejudices than your performance: apply, give it your best shot, but don't be too surprised if they appoint someone else...