1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need GTC registration?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lily_w, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Hi everyone. I am an NQT about to start my first teaching job. I have heard that it is essential to register with the GTC but I am aware they are due to disband soon so I'm not sure if it's still necessary. I don't want to pay the fee for the year and then lose it when the council no longer exists. Does anyone have any advice?

2. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Hi everyone. I am an NQT about to start my first teaching job. I have heard that it is essential to register with the GTC but I am aware they are due to disband soon so I'm not sure if it's still necessary. I don't want to pay the fee for the year and then lose it when the council no longer exists. Does anyone have any advice?

3. The GTC holds the register of all teachers, this will be transferred to another body (part of the DfE I think) I'm guessing when that happens we'll pay them instead! So yes, you need to pay and will probably still pay in the future.

4. The GTC will be disbanded in Aprilo this year. Its registration functions will be taken over by the newly formed Teaching Agency (the Training and Development Agency (TDA) is also being disbanded). At present the law requires those with QTs empolyed as teachers in the state sector to be registered withg the GTC. In many instances the LA/Academy subsidises the cost of registration. If you are a employed as a teacher the the head of your school has a legal duty to check that you are registered with the GTC and this has not changed, even though everyone knows it will be disbanded. Talk to your employer about registration.
    James