1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need E.S.and covering letter...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by srk1, Jan 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. srk1

srk1 New commenter

hi there,
    I am applying for HoD post and have been asked on the application form to 'describe how your skills, knowledge and experience meet each requirement within the person specification, in order.' This, to me, is an executive summary so do I still need a cover letter as well? Most of what is on a very extensive application form is also in my covering letter.
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, spot on!

Your letter should perhaps be more about achievements and what you hope to do for the school rather than a history of where, when, what, which as you say is on the form overall.

I would put an E.S. in the application form space. But I would also have a letter of application, talking more soft skills, your vision for the department, your management style, philosophy of teaching, that sort of thing.

From your familiarity with the E.S., may I assume that you are aware of all the applications advice articles in the Professional Advice Hub? Tag me @TheoGriff if you need me to give you the links.

Best wishes - and good luck!

3. srk1

srk1 New commenter

Thank you so much. That really clarifies things. I will now edit my cover letter to include the points you made. I will let you know if I get an interview!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, we have interview advice as well!

Best wishes