1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need an NQT teaching standards evidence file?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by claire176, Feb 7, 2019.

1. claire176

claire176 New commenter

So I have been speaking to a few fellow NQT's who have been told that they don't need to complete a teaching standards file? My professional mentor is being very strict and saying I should do one but collating evidence for each of the teaching standards like I did while I'm training seems to me a waste of time when I'm having regular observations and have to submit to my mentor every half term exactly what I've done with the additional 10% I get. I spent ages doing it when I was training and no one even looked at it!

Has anyone else heard whether we definitely need to complete an evidence file for the teaching standards? Has anyone got a reference to something that I can show to my mentor?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You need to do what your mentor asks you to do.

When you're at uni you need the file because uni might need to prove that they are correct in passing you (your file might be moderated). I don't think this is the case as an NQT; it's possible that the LA want to see something, but nevertheless your mentor obviously wants there to be evidence to support their decision of whether to sign off your NQT year or not.

3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I don’t think you have to, but it’s a useful way of providing evidence that you are reaching those standards.

4. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

Agree that it's a useful record - with opportunity to reflect which is what your mentor will be looking for.
    Perhaps you could arrive at a style that is less extensive than what you had to do when training but enough to satisfy your mentor who's likely wanting to do a good job - they'll get some scrutiny too!

Perhaps talk to him/her - is the current record what they need? is there a way of ensuring it's useful but perhaps with less evidence/detail? you really want to learn and develop but not sure if there's a better way of doing this so that you can allocate your time appropriately, etc etc... If you've got the time, maybe produce an example of something cut down and discuss if that's going to be sufficient.

I think you're more likely to arrive at something that works for you if you've suggested a possible way forward that can be talked through rather than just say you don't feel what you're doing is any use.

5. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

I think you should be very careful about going to your mentor and telling him / her their job as you may find that you become known as "the difficult one".

To be honest, if you are doing everything that you need to then making an evidence file shouldn't be that difficult.

On my course, the folders are moderated near the end of the course and the evidence in them used to determine whether or not we have met the standards.

If you think that the folder is a waste of time, what alternative method are you intending to use to submit to the board when they are deciding whether or not you can be awarded QTS?

6. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The OP already has QTS - they are now an NQT.

7. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

I can see that this might be a chore, but your mentor is being very sensible.
    Gathering as much evidence as you can during induction is a safety net.

Too many NQTs come on here to say how they are being failed right at the end of the year and then go on to say that they have had little or no support.
    This can lead to some very unpleasant arguments.

Although I’m not a fan of written evaluations for every lesson, I’ve always kept a brief record of key moments. I take a photo and put it on Evernote.
    No one is going to look at it. It’s for me. Very useful to look back over for job applications in the future.

Take your mentor’s approach as a positive. You won’t be a new teacher much longer.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  8. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

I missed that but I still think that the folder is a good idea as is not deliberately going against your mentor.

(Thanks blueskydreaming)

peter12171 and blueskydreaming like this.
  9. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

You need a folder of evidence. Three pieces of evidence per standard should be enough plus store your observations, evaluations and meeting minutes in the folder. Just means you are covering yourself.