1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need a contract?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Crowbob, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You are entitled to a written statement of particulars within 2 months of getting a new role. Not that it helps if you don't want to rock the boat.
    The Head being "too busy" is just a poor excuse for not complying with legal requirements. It really does make me angry the way in which some managers deal with HR issues.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think it is within 2 months of starting the job rather than being offered it. Which means that, if your new job starts in September, the Head can wait until later that month to give you the contract.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Whoops, of course you are right. I assumed it was a change that had already happened. I read it too fast. Sorry. My bad. [​IMG]

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Still irritating, though. I assume the job description was alread decided when the appointment was made; it can't be that difficult to give it to HR to turn into a contract.

5. Early in my career I regularly worked without a contract, sometimes for years at a time. It does seem to be better generally now.