1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Do I move aboard before or after my NQT year?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Bluebells98, Aug 16, 2019.

  1. Bluebells98

    Bluebells98 New commenter

    Hi there,

    I'm in my second year of teacher training and I am considering moving to Canada to teach over there. Do I have to do my NQT year before I go or can I move over there as soon as I'm qualified? What is the importance of the NQT year anyway?
    If anyone has any advice on paying my loan from Canada and the required qualifications to teach in a Canadian primary/elementary school, that would also be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance! :)
  2. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Search on the 'teaching abroad' forum - it is notoriously hard to get a teaching job in Canada. There are so few teaching jobs that many Canadian teachers end up abroad instead.

    Also, Google 'emigrate to Canada' to get some idea of the visa process, and ease of getting a visa.

    The NQT year is important because it means that you are supported in your first year of teaching, and you have a slight reduction in teaching hours therefore slightly more prep time.
  3. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    If fully-qualified Canadian teachers are finding it difficult to get a teaching job in Canada, then I think that the OP is being just a little bit unrealistic if he or she imagines that it will be easy to get a job there. In addition, there are some significant differences between the curriculum in Canada and what you would normally be teaching in the UK. Last but not least, it would perhaps be difficult to get a teaching job in the UK, if you were to return at some later date and you had not completed your NQT year.

    Probably all of the above is irrelevant if you happen to teach Physics, Bluebells98. So how are your Quantum Mechanics?
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You say that you are in your second year of teacher training. Does that mean that you are doing a B.Ed rather than a degree, followed by a PGCE?.
    You should check whether your route to QTS is actually accepted in Canada. I understand that it does not allow access to being a qualified teacher in Australia or New Zealand, for instance.
  5. Over_the_hill

    Over_the_hill Star commenter

    Of course it’s entirely up to you, I don’t know your reasons for wanting to move to Canada, but for the sake of completeness and less stress, I personally would get qualified and get your NQT year under your belt and then move.
  6. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    No, it is not up to you, Bluebells98. It is up to a principal of a school in Canada whether or not he or she will give you a teaching post. And the chances are that they won't, so you might as well abandon the idea for the time being.
  7. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Forget Canada, there is next to no chance. There is a reason why there is such a massive amount of Canadian teachers out on the international circuit...and its not because there are loads of jobs available in Canada.

    The world is a very large place and it is possible to have an amazing life as an international teacher....just forget Canada
  8. sidekick125

    sidekick125 New commenter

    I would thoroughly recommend you do your NQT year. Having QTS opens up a lot more doors. Internationally, all the tops schools now require QTS from U.K trained teachers.
  9. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Well, yes, sidekick125, in an ideal world it would indeed be better to get your NQT year done before moving abroad. However, the unpleasant reality is that we do not live in an idea world and not all international school principals will be completely amazed and blown off their feet if you have QTS. There might perhaps be one or two other things that are taken into consideration, such as whether or not you can teach Maths or Chemistry or Physics.
  10. sidekick125

    sidekick125 New commenter

    Not if you want into a Tier A international school.
  11. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    People continue to be confused about the terms NQT and QTS. You get QTS 9Qualified Teacher Status) on successful completion of your ITT (Initial Teacher Ttraining).
    You become an NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) when you take up your first teaching post and undergo an Induction year. Passing Induction ratifies your ability to continue teaching in the UK compulsory State sector (ages 5-16).
    Failing Induction does not remove your QTS. That is yours for life. Failing Induction would not (in theory) stop a private school employing you or State provision for under 5s or over 16s.
    Most overseas schools would want a UK teacher to have had some qualified teacher experience i the UK.
    Some countries do not allow qualified teachers who gained QTS in the UK via a B.Ed. They require teachers to have a degree specialism independent of teacher training, with a postgraduate teaching certificate.
  12. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    jubilee is spot on. Of course the majority of international schools want to recruit experienced staff. Usually two years is the minimum, but more would be better. In many cases, international schools have a lot of applicants and therefore principals can afford to be fussy.

Share This Page