1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I leave my PGCE Primary?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Dani_559201, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Dani_559201

Dani_559201 New commenter

I've seen this kind of thread a few times now, so I'm aware that there are quite a few people feeling this way about PGCE. I am currently in my last placement with about 7 weeks to and I start teaching fully again tomorrow. I feel overly anxious at just about all times when I'm in the classroom, the kids (Year 4) are great and I genuinely adore working with them, as I did with my first placement (Year 1), I'm just honestly not sure that teaching's for me. All of the teachers that I've been with as class mentors have been relatively negative about the career, and it's making me very nervous about teaching my own class. Like I said I love being around the kids and helping them out, I just don't enjoy standing at the front and teaching them, or telling them off. I always feel like I'm overstepping my boundaries when I'm telling the kids off, and they don't ever seem to listen no matter what I try. I'm currently on 2s for all of the standards but I'm worried about not having anywhere near enough evidence for the presentation either. I feel like I've just fallen so far behind in uni work and between that and being in school I have no hope of catching up in time for the end of the course. I just feel miserable and caught in limbo about the whole thing right now.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's only seven weeks. Finish the course and then whatever you decide you won't regret getting so far through the course and ending up without a qualification.

I do think it's a concern that you feel you can't teach from the front or tell off children but this lack of ownership of the classroom is quite common in student teachers. For most people it disappears quickly when you are given full responsibility for your class.

3. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

If you are getting 2s, you are not over stepping the mark. I understand how you feel though but only you can make that decision.