1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have to tell my head I have a non-teaching interveiw?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ZanyInsany, Nov 25, 2015.

1. ZanyInsany

ZanyInsany New commenter

Basically, that's it. I know I should, but do I have to? I will not lie (such as saying it is a medical appointment) but can I just site 'personal reasons' for needing the time off?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

You could try, but he/she is almost bound to ask... And will probably be asked for a reference, anyway.

Better to be upfront, I'd say...

3. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

If you intend on going to the interview during school time, then yes - you will need to tell your HT.
    You are paid to work with your students, a HT can allow you paid time off for other instances, but it's up to their discretion/whatever is in the school's policy. Citing "personal reasons" could mean that you will be in breach of contract.

lanokia likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes... you tell them. Don't lie.

As midnight_angel says, it's breach of contract.

Good luck with the interview though!

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

You may also get a less than favourable reference too.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm going to be a bit picky here . . .

Well it is personal reasons - I can't see that this is a breach of contract just to say that. It would be a problem if you took time off without permission, of course.

Really picky here!

No, you do not need to tell your HT. You need to ASK, and permission could be denied.

Even for teaching interviews, in most cases your Head does not have to give permission if it is inconvenient in any way, although usually they do, of course. But they don't have to.

However, I see a bigger potential problem here.

If you are on a permanent contract, you do realise that unless you handed in your resignation on or before 31 October, you will not be free to take up this new job until 1st May?

That's over 5 months. Not many employers would wait that long.

If you are on a short contract, they isn't a problem, however.

Best of luck with the interview - and with getting the time off to attend.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I'd be amazed if a school accepted 'personal reasons' without finding out what they are! My schooI had a policy which listed valid reasons for paid time off. I am afraid that some schools would not give paid time off (and some even not unpaid time) for an interview outside teaching (outside education, time off for interviews is unusual - all of mine were conducted before or after work or during lunchtimes). Anyway, as has been advised, be honest. You are not entitled to the time off, so a polite request is called for. TheoGriff is, as usual, spot on on this one.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

[the missing thumbs up emoticon]

I'd be amazed too. 'Personal reasons' just means it's a reason relating only to you - all requests for time off in term-time are for 'personal reasons'.

midnight_angel likes this.
  9. ZanyInsany

ZanyInsany New commenter

Thanks for all the replies - this leaves me in a bit of a pickle. I understand (and reluctantly agree with) all your comments. To apply, let school know and not be appointed will leave me in a terribly vulnerable position. My school is not a happy school and I do feel I will be persecuted for this. There is always the chance I will be appointed, but I have to consider the alternative. Theo, your point about resignation dates is a very valid one, but the company I am being interviewed by deal with (soon to be ex) teachers and know this situation so, in that respect, I am very fortunate. Oh what to do! I really fancy this position, it is not a blind leap, but my life will be hell if I am not appointed...

10. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Could you explain this to your potential employers and ask for them to interview you after school or on a saturday etc.?

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Do you have any evidence for this, perhaps from others in a similar position? There are some people around who are affronted by somebody trying to leave, but most are quite used to people trying to change jobs - a routine event for any employer. If you are that bothered, and bearing in mind that the employer is used to dealing with teachers, could you take kent1's advice? Or, bearing in mind that it would not affect your leaving date, might they be prepared to wait until the Christmas holiday?

midnight_angel likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ask the Head

A decent Head will let you go

If you get the job, try to negotiate early leaving if it suits you.

A decent Head will let you do this

If they don't, then do what is best for you anyway.

And don't look back. Don't spend a day longer in an unhappy school, where you feel you will be victimised for wanting to leave, than you have to.

Good luck!

13. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

So can I clarify: you cannot take time out of school to attend an interview without asking the head for permission, yes fine. But if you attend an interview not in school time e.g. weekend or during a half term break you don't need to tell the head you are going for an interview? Won't they get a shock when they get a request for a reference though and may give you a bad one if you don't have the decency of informing them of the interview and your intention of leaving the school?

Note: decency as some heads would view it ;)

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's right!

In the interview (or in the application) there is usually an opportunity to ask them not to contact referees unless you say so, to give you a chance to get in first and tell the Head. In fact many non-teaching jobs don't ask for refs until they have decided to appoint you. Subject to reference.

Should be fine if you can get the timing of the interview right.

Best of luck!

15. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

Thanks @TheoGriff you always have the right info :) I only ask for future reference, good to be in the know!

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Do you find your Head intimidating and that is why you think there will be repercussions if you admit you are going for a job outside teaching? I think the only way to deal with such a situation is to be open and honest and speak to your head as matter of factly as possible.

I would suggest saying what is good about your present situation, and what you will miss, but why you want to change and where you see yourself going in your career. Don't criticize anything about the school or teaching in general. I would also not admit to any failures on your part if there are any that you want to get away from. However don't be too gushy. If your Head can not deal with that then I would wonder how they ever became a Head.

I have a personal joke that used to get me through such situations. Always tell the truth, so that when you lie, people will believe you. ----- Umm-m -- sorry, -- probably in bad taste or something!

18. ZanyInsany

ZanyInsany New commenter

I appreciate all of your advice and comments. I think I have an idea what I am going to do now. I shall keep my fingers crossed and let you know how I get on. I don't want to say too much as I know lots of people who read this kinds of stuff and I don't want to be identified, but your comments have helped me make up my mind. Once you make a decision, the rest falls into place more easily...

JRiley1 likes this.
  19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I hope that whatever you decide works out well for you. Good luck!