1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have to take children with behavioural issues on a trip?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by shalala, Jul 6, 2011.

1. If the class in general is misbehaving, why do they deserve a treat trip? I would bring all or none.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You need to make a risk assessment of the trip. For each of the difficult kids you need to assess if the trip is suitable for them. Can they cope with the 'normal' trip. If in your judgement they can't then what steps must you put in place to allow them to come. This could be perhaps taking a dedicated member of staff for each of the difficult kids. That will ensure their H&S and the H&S of the rest of the group. You must define what the duties of these extra staff are such as sitting with the kid on the bus. Holding the child's hand at all times etc or at particularly risky times such as crossing roads, on stairs, by water etc. You could also perhaps alter parts of the trip for those particular children.

Take the risk assessment to your HT and tell him/her that the trip cannot go ahead unless these measures are taken. If he/she is willing to staff it then take the kids. If he/she is not willing to staff it them he/she can choose to exclude them from the trip. Under no circumstance take the kids if you don't feel safe. Cancel the trip if necessary. Your LEA employs advisors who can assist you in this. Ask your EVC for their contact number or email address.

When we do trips (we are scondary) we put a clause into the letters to say that the school reserves the right to exclude pupils from trips if their general behaviour in school is deemed to present a risk to their H&S or the H&S of other on the trip.

Good luck

3. SATS trip.

Mental.
    If something goes wrong YOU and noone else is in the dock. Literally.
    NO TRIP.

4. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

i wouldn't even consider it. we too have the behaviour / exclusion clause
    do NOT put yourself / job etc at risk.
    if you are forced (?) to take them, get it written down that you have concerns but have no choice but personally I would refuse

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Did the trip go ahead?

6. No you don't have to take them. As one other poster said, do a thorough risk assessment and make it clear to SLT that you are not prepared to take them. I must be lucky - in many years of trips at my school, the decision has always been left to me.

7. It's my understanding that you don't even have to take children on trips out of school if you don't want to. Check this with your union!!

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That is corect. A teacher cannot be forced to take children out of school on trips. However the majority of teachers are happy to take trips but there is a big grey area when it comes to kids whose behaviour cannot be controlled.

The Op has still not responded to whether the trip happened.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I'm still curious as to whether the trip went ahead and if the bad kids got to go.