1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have to pay the bursary back if i quit?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Phuketmark, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Phuketmark

Phuketmark New commenter

I am on the PGCE and am in receipt of the bursary
    If i don't finish the course, would I have to pay the bursary back?
    I'm in a mess.
    This is not for me :(

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You only have to pay some back if they make an error and continue to pay you after you've left the course:

8.4 Eligible trainees who withdraw or defer from a course may be entitled to be paid the training bursary for each month up to, and including, the month in which they formally withdrew. Withdrawal or deferral information should reflect the dates given to Student Finance England for student support purposes. 8.5 These trainees are only entitled to receive a bursary payment for the month they withdraw if they were still on the course at the time the ITT provider made the payment, e.g. if an ITT provider’s contracted payment date is the 15th of the month, and the trainee is registered as withdrawing from the 3rd of the month, the trainee is not entitled to received their instalment for the month of withdrawal. If, however, the trainee withdraws on or after the 15th, the trainee may receive the payment in the month of withdrawal. ITT providers should not make any pro rata training bursary payments to trainees. 8.6 In the event of withdrawal or deferral, the ITT provider must suspend all bursary payments to the trainee immediately and ensure that their records are updated in the Teacher Training Portal (TTP), formerly the ITT Data Management System (DMS), detailing the formal withdrawal date. DfE will clawback any overpayments made to ITT providers after the trainee has withdrawn deferred, and will not reimburse ITT providers that pay the training bursary in error to trainees. DfE expects ITT providers to recover any bursary overpayments from trainees.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...r_Training_bursaries_funding_manual_18-19.pdf

3. Phuketmark

Phuketmark New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply.
    That is one weight off my shoulders.
    So I wouldn't have to repay monies received whilst on the course.
    That is great.
    I have made no firm decision as yet but would put things in writing the day after receiving a payment.

thanks for your help.