1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have to pay my PGCE Bursary back if I can’t find a job?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ssommers94, Jun 17, 2020.

1. ssommers94

ssommers94 New commenter

I’ve now finished my PGCE and I have applied for upwards of 30 jobs. However I’m having the worst luck trying to secure a role, my applications are either swiftly rejected or ignored. I’ve had only one interview and was shortlisted down to the last two candidates, I had a second interview lined up and the school never got in touch with me at the allotted time and haven’t answered my emails or calls, and I’ve also been emailed about other roles I’ve applied for with schools telling me they’ve decided not to recruit for the role. I’m struggling terribly to find ANYTHING for September and its becoming really disheartening. My uni mentor has looked over my cv and covering letter and said they both look fine.

I’ve since applied to do a masters this September and been accepted as I’ve been unable to secure a role, (i thought it would be an extra bonus to my subject knowledge and my CV to have a masters degree) and thought I’d hopefully get a job next September. I know the current climate isnt at all helpful for finding a job!

I’m now worried though that I’ll have to pay back the bursary as someone (I’m not sure if it was a rumour) told me it had to be paid back if you weren’t actively applying for a job or didn’t take a teaching job. Obviously I’ve been applying like mad but I’m having awful luck, but do I have to pay back the bursary if I’m not in a teaching role? It’s certainly not for lack of trying and I’m also considering getting myself on with an agency for supply work on days that I’m not in university.

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

No you don't.

phatsals likes this.
  3. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

These are very strange times for schools, I don't think many of them know where they stand for September, making it extremely difficult for you as a new teacher.

Don't give up hope, start your Masters, but if you get a job offer in the meantime, accept it. It's a really good idea to sign up for supply come September, just to make sure you keep your skills up to date and also to become familiar with different schools.

No, you won't have to pay back your bursary, whoever told you that is making it up.

Kartoshka likes this.
  4. inkymark

inkymark New commenter

As far as I am aware, you do not have to pay your training bursary back. Whoever told you that is really not be very helpful at all. A bursary is not like a tuition loan (which you do have to pay back) so don't worry about it.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

As a course leader, I can tell you - no. And at this point in time the agencies will be fat with jobs for September. Sign up with several and get them working for you. Say you want a permanent post for September.