1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have to lose my AST role and pay to change jobs?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by muso2, Apr 22, 2012.

1. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hi,
    I became an AST last year, but am looking to relocate. There are no AST posts in my subject, and I'm looking at HoD roles, which have various TLRs attached.
    I imagine it's unlikely a school will agree to keep me on the AST pay scale, especially as I will probably up against teachers on MPS, and being more expensive will count against me.
    I'm not all about the money, but did work hard to gain my AST role, and don't want to feel as if I'm going backwards in terms of my professional development.
    My questions are:
    1. Is it reasonable to ask if a school will consider maintaining my AST role and pay conditions?
    2. Is mentioning this during an interview likely to reduce my chances of getting a job?
    3. Is there a way to negotiate this that feels win-win? I've never done this before and it feels a bit awkward!
    Thanks in anticipation!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I think that in the current climate, unless a school has an AST role within its structure and financial projections it probably is unlikely that they would be willing to take you on on your present pay scale. I think you are right to look at HoD jobs and perhaps keep an eye on the new 'master teacher' proposals which I envisage taking over and replacing the AST role.