1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have to go to parent's evening on my day off?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rustybug, Mar 26, 2012.

1. I was part time for years in a school that made the staff give and do up to the max. But we were never expected to attend anything on our day off. However if we missed parents' evening we'd have to ring all the parents up instead. It was easier to just go! (Not in your case, obvioulsy as you have other plans.)
    I did know a teacher who gave the kids a note saying "Unfortunately I am unable to attend parents' evening. If you would like me to contact you with regard to XXXXXX's progress in science, please write a phone number and best contact time (Mon - Wed, 3pm - 6pm)"
    I think this, putting the ball in their court, means you only hear from the ones who really want to talk to you.

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I always did but then I've only ever taught part-time in private schools, where the normal rules seldom apply!
    It did mean that the Head was pretty flexible when it came to me attending the occasional thing at my child's school.

3. Part time staff at our school haven't done. If that helps.

4. You cannot be made to attend. If you choose to attend, you should be paid extra/offered time off in lieu.

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

My understanding was that if you are part-time you have to attend parents evening reflecting the percentage of timetable you teach. For example, if you are 0.5 then you should attend half of the parents' evenings.
    It would seem a bit unfair that if parents' evenings always fall on a Thursday and that's your day off that you never have to fulfil this part of your responsibilities.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

It is not by divine lottery, so the Head can organise dates to ensure fairness (if they were so inclined).

7. The STPCD provides that part
    time teachers cannot now be required to work or attend non-pupil days on days
    when they do not normally work (STPCD para 74.7).

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>They may, however, agree to
    attend staff/departmental meetings, parents/open evenings and INSET days and
    other non-pupil days on such days by mutual agreement with the head
    teacher. Where they do agree to work on
    days when they do not normally work, this cannot by definition be included in
    directed time. The STPCD therefore
    includes a provision for additional payment for this working time. The formula for this payment provides, in
    effect, for part time teachers to receive 1/1265 of the appropriate full time
    pay rate for each hour of additional working time.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

In that case the Head should vary the days on which Parents' Evenings are scheduled.
    A p/t teacher may well have another job on the days when they are not in the school (either at another school or in another type of work altogether). That scenario demonstartes why a Head cannot insist that you turn up for work (unpaid) on a day when you are not timetabled to be at that place of work.
    A part timer might have chosen that schedule of work specifically because they had other commitments, not necessarily paid work, on the other days. I know part-timers who care for elderly relatives on their 'free' days (relatives in Day Care on other days) or are studying part-time at university or at evening classes.
    Anyone who doesn't want to work on their day off, or who will not do it unpaid, should tell parents that they can bee seen after school on the days when the teacher works at the school. Parents will understand if the situation is explained to them. They wouldn't go to work on their day off if they could help it and certainly not without pay!

9. fantastischfish

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely in support of part-time teachers; I have had a couple of friends in my previous school who were treated dreadfully when they went part-time after maternity leave.
    However, just as devil's advocate, full time staff could also technically have another job in the evenings and at weekends. Should they decline to attend parents' evenings if they happen to fall on evenings that they do a regular shift at the local pub?
    Not saying it's right that PT staff should be expected to come in on days off, just that an arrangement should be reached at the beginning of each school year.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They are contracted /timetabled to work on that day and will have advance notice of the school calendar. The Head is entitled to expect their attendance after school as it forms part of their DT hours. They would need to take holiday leave from their other job or swap shifts with a co-worker.
    True but thta arrangement should involve the part timer being free to decline attendance at some or all of the sessions on their days off and to expect pay for those that they agree to work.

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I must admit, I've always attended Parents' Evenings even on days when I'm not contracted to work. I haven't asked to be paid, either. I just see it as part of directed time and it's in my best interests to meet parents.

12. anteater

anteater New commenter

I've always done the same. Parents' evenings are directed time - there has never been any question of part time staff in our school not attending parents' evenings that fall on their days off. People just see it as a pain, but have not questioned it.

13. fantastischfish

If a PT teacher attends parents' evening in accordance with the proportion of hours they work then they ARE being paid. They are paid to complete two-thirds of the directed time that a full time member of staff works. I agree that part time staff must not be 'put upon' or expected to work above and beyond their contract, but they should be expected to work a proportion of parents evenings, even if this means occasionally coming in on a day off for the evening only. Of course, if it happens that too many parents evenings fall on days that the PT teacher DOES work, then they should be excused from the proprtion of DT hours that are outside of their contract.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That's only partly correct.
    True: A part-timer has pro-rata DT hours.
    Those pro-rata DT hours can only be assigned to their scheduled work days. See a previous post where someone quoted the Teachers' Pay & Conditions, where it is clearly stated that working something like a Parents' Evening on a day when not timetabled to be in school does not form part of the part time teacher's DT hours.
    Where such events do fall on the timetabled days, the part-timer can only be required to attend a pro-rata number of INSETS, Parents' Evenings etc. If the Head wants them to attend all such events, extra pay should be forthcoming for those outside their contractual share.
    It is up to the Head to assign duties up to the maximum DT hours on the timetabled days. If a teacher is not prepared to (or cannot) attend Parents' Evening /INSET (with pay) on non-timetabled days, the Head could direct them to see parents after school on one or more days when they are in school.

15. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Thanks jubilee - this crops up time and time again and your answer explins it perfectly.
    I'm sure there's a lot of give and take on this issue in many schools which is fair enough.
    But where a teacher would be seriously affected by having to attend something in school on a non-timetabled day (eg. childcare costs or issues, other jobs, family etc) or where the HT is taking advantage (and/or doesn't appear to be aware of the P&C) it's really helpful to know what the legal situation is.
    Thanks.
    (Maybe we could do with a P&C FAQ sticky at the top of this forum as this and other questions crop up with alarming frequency?)

16. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

As mentioned before, I just attended without question. It felt @rsey and in nobody's best interests not to.

17. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

When I was a job share class teacher I always went to PEs on my non-working days.
    Now I do PPA cover and no-one wants to talk to me anyway! If it's a working day stay in school and get on with stuff.

18. About 10 years ago I taught a small special needs class, and when parents' evening came round, only one pupil's parent declared an interest in coming. I told the head, a fairly amenable chap as heads go, and he said that if I rang the mother up, then I'd be let off coming to the year 7 evening. I rang the number, a mobile, and got through to a grandmother. the mother had moved out with the pupil. She gave me another mobile number, which I rang several times, without success. I asked my head what to do. He said to turn up to the parents' evening . So I did, but the mother didn't. I waited for 90 minutes, then went home. With a good tale to tell.