1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have to externally advertise a temporary TA post

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by emmai, Jul 11, 2011.

1. emmai

emmai New commenter

Could anyone give me some clear guidance on whether I have to externally advertise a temporary TA post. If not to what degree and detail should it be internally advertised? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. HR say you have to for equal opps but a way round this is to advertise for 1 week in holidays and make person spec & criteria fit one candidate you want really well.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Your HR might be advising this, but there's no rule about it.

4. The short answer is No.

5. my warning from first hand experience... the GTC view it as misconduct if you don't follow fair recruitment procedures even for a short term post, in my instance covering a period of absence due to illness when I called in someone \i knew who was available and CRB checked. It's not worth losing your job[​IMG]

6. Yes I agree. I have always been told to be fair to all possible candidates & advertise widely or else a charge can be brought to your door. I don't think this is just advice from H R.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What a waste of money to place an ad in your local paper for a temporary TA post!
    HR want their heads shaken.
    I suggest that you advertise on the Local Authority website - for free. And also on your school website - a nice page all about it, with clear person spec and simple details about exactly how to apply.
    You might get a gem!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.