1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have to be SENCo??

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by ManifestDestiny, Apr 9, 2019.

1. ManifestDestiny

ManifestDestiny New commenter

Due to return to work as an AHT after 12 months mat leave. Head has said she wants me to be SENCo. This is an area I have little interest in beyondcatering for SEND children in my class. Prior to mat leave I was responsible for EYFS. Due to re-structure this role isn't available anymore so head is saying I need to do SENCo role in order to justify AHT pay. In other circumstances I would have given it a go but with a little baby to now consider I don't feel like I can commit to the extra workload of studying for the SENCo award - particularly given my lack of interest in this area. Can I be forced into this role and the necessary studying?

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If roles have been restructured and the head wants to replace your current responsibility with Senco , they can. The alternative might mean they no longer need an assistant head. Do consider how much non contact time you have for the role. The job should be doable in that time. Studying for the award is a big commitment. You have three years to do this (and I know some who’ve dragged it out for longer or not at all). Maybe, say you would want to do the role for a year to gain more knowledge before starting the award. That gives you time to decide whether to proceed or seek a new post.

ManifestDestiny likes this.
  3. cheesypop

cheesypop Occasional commenter

I know someone in a similar position (primary) who is now looking to leave the school so she doesn’t have to finish the SENCo course. If you really don’t want to do it then say, because it’s not a job that should be done halfheartedly. It might be worth thinking of responsibilities you could suggest though.