1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have any rights?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by loobyloo36, May 3, 2012.

1. I have worked at a primary school for last six years as a TA. I was taken on as paid employee on a temporary basis three years ago. After a year doing same 20 hours a week the post was advertised internally and I was unsucessful. A student was then given the post and made permanent. I then was told I had no hours at all. Unfortunately a colleague had to leave through long term sickness not long after and I was offered 15 hours again on temporary basis.After two years doing these hours the same thing has happened. I was told to apply for the job I had done for last two years. I did this and again was unsuccessful. An employee taken on 6 months ago was successful in the interview and was given the post which has suddenly been made permanent and now I have no job this coming September. My payslip states I worked as a relief TA and for the last two years as a supply TA. My performance has been good and the HT has never stated he was unhappy with my work nor have my colleagues . Have I been treated unfairly or is this the norm? I would appreciate any advice.

2. I have worked at a primary school for last six years as a TA. I was taken on as paid employee on a temporary basis three years ago. After a year doing same 20 hours a week the post was advertised internally and I was unsucessful. A student was then given the post and made permanent. I then was told I had no hours at all. Unfortunately a colleague had to leave through long term sickness not long after and I was offered 15 hours again on temporary basis.After two years doing these hours the same thing has happened. I was told to apply for the job I had done for last two years. I did this and again was unsuccessful. An employee taken on 6 months ago was successful in the interview and was given the post which has suddenly been made permanent and now I have no job this coming September. My payslip states I worked as a relief TA and for the last two years as a supply TA. My performance has been good and the HT has never stated he was unhappy with my work nor have my colleagues . Have I been treated unfairly or is this the norm? I would appreciate any advice.

3. R13

R13 New commenter

IF you have the nerve to go for it you could . . . .
    1 . . . . ask your Union for advice on this as you do have rights when working for the lengths of time you state above
    2 . . . . ask your Head why s/he thinks you are good enough to cover but clearly doesn't think you are good enough for a permanent contract

4. I think this is totally unfair. To have been doing a job for two years surely must mean you are a permanent member of staff. Do you have a contract? If you don't you should have had one. Contact your personnel person about it. If you are in a union get them involved.
    Good luck
    Beadle

5. Thankyou for your replies - good to get some sound advice.