1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have any chance?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Wannabeteacher100, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Wannabeteacher100

Wannabeteacher100 New commenter

I'm looking for some advice regarding my future prospects. I graduated from University with a 3rd class BA Graphic Design. I also hold a BTEC National Diploma in Art and Design (from college) and a Level 2 CACHE Supporting Teaching & Learning in Schools Certificate. After my degree, I worked as a marketing assistant for a few years for a local company before completing my Level 2 CACHE Certificate. Since completing my CACHE, I have being working for various supply agencies as a Teaching Assistant since September picking up a few days of supply work here and there. However, my long term ambition is to get a job teaching Design & Technology in a secondary school environment.

Firstly, do I have any chance of getting onto any sort of Teacher Training course with a 3rd class degree in Graphic Design? I'm aware a Schools Direct Course is out of my reach.

Secondly, if I did get accepted onto a PGCE course what subjects would a Design & Technology PGCE equip me to teach? Am I right in thinking it is different to say an English PGCE in that you don't just teach English, you'd have to teacher across all of the subjects in Design & Technology? What subjects would I be expected to teach on a D&T PGCE course?

Finally, at the end of last year, I spent a month or so volunteering as a technician in a large secondary school technology department. I was deployed as a food technology technician and I really enjoyed it. I've always been a keen baker and I have a passion for catering. However, I don't have any qualifications past a GCSE Dual Award in Catering and Hospitality. Would I realistically be able to get a teaching post in food technology with a D&T PGCE?

Thank You in Anticipation - and apologies for the long ramble!
    I've posted this onto a couple of different rooms as I'm unsure where it'd be best placed!

2. splinters

splinters Established commenter

My first bit of advice would be to avoid training for teaching DT. Its a subject sadly in decline and there are not many job opportunities nowadays (with many applying for those that do pop up).
    Secondly, be aware that Food will no longer be under the DT banner as it is now Food and Nutrition (at examination level at least).
    I think its best to focus on what you want to do as your post suggests TA, technician, DT teaching, Food teaching.
    Its been a long time since I got my PGCE in FE then QTS in DT so not sure of the routes but probably best to make a decision rather than gunning for all the options.
    Sadly, in light of the ebacc, the H&S requirements and the cost of running DT (often with average results) I stand by my first recommendation to avoid that particular subject. Would art not be a more suitable option given your degree?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some very valid points there from the coalface made by @splinters .

You might try contacting your local ITT provider and asking them what your options are, what they see as your best chance. And when they have told you, ask them: How many of last year's D&T PGCE students obtained employment for September?

Because that is the main point - the availability of jobs to apply for.

Have a good read of THIS too.

You can also - but probably not today - ring the Get Into Teaching team.

If you would like to speak to us about teaching or teacher training, please call us on Freephone 0800 389 2500.

Best wishes for a peaceful Christmastide

[​IMG]