1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have a choice about which class I teach as NQT?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sukhan_qureshi, Feb 17, 2020.

1. sukhan_qureshi

sukhan_qureshi New commenter

Hello,
    If I’m applying for NQT jobs within Early Years, as they have been advertised, would I then be placed within an EY classroom, or could I be placed in KS1? I’m specifically looking for NQT early years jobs and I’m not sure how much sway an NQT applicant has! I wouldn’t want to be placed in KS1 for my NQT year; would this be something I’d be able to negotiate?

thank you!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If the job advertises that it's early years, then that's what you are applying for. This doesn't mean it can't change in the future and you will need to be prepared to work anywhere. If shortlisted for interview, you can always clarify that the vacancy will be in EYFS. Sometimes things do change unexpectantly but that should be made clear at interview.

Sometimes an NQ advert will say year group to be negotiated which means they aren't quite sure of their staffing structure for the next year, so you might want to avoid those initially.

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I've always heard that Early Years jobs are harder to fill so you don't need to worry about not finding a job. But yes, if it states early years, I'd feel confident that it was going to be early years.