1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I go part-time???????

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dt tech, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I have been teaching for 9 years (32yrs old) and enjoy teching my subject Design and Technology (Food Tech). Due to changes in the school timetable I have been under time tabled this year and picked up lessons in Art and PE which I have enjoed teaching and have some backgroud knowledge in. I have found out next year I am loosing my GCSE group's which I am not very happy about. This will make me even more under timetables and I don't want to be picking up cover lessons to make up my time-table as I have at points this year.
    So the big question do I go part-time and what effect will this have on my future carear. I don't hold any responsblity at the mowment and am happy been a teacher. But in the future if I want permotion or move on to a new school how will this look on my CV.
    Any advice welcome :)

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Why not start looking for other jobs straight away. It might take some time to get a new job but at least you're earning a full salary, making full pension contribs etc. Going part time for a bit of a weak reason hints at a lack of commitment imo. You might have a bit of a c r a p year but you'd be wise to try and make the best of it. See it as an opportunity for prof dev. I know that's easy for me to say from my armchair but going part time just seems unnecessary unless you're at the end of your tether and you don't sound like that.

3. I do feel at the end of my tether and really don't want to be doing supply lessons next year.
    I have got a meeting with the head tomorrow but don't want to back my self into a corner that i can't get out of. I have thought of asking to go part-time for 1 year, as I am a keen athlete and it would give me more time to train. I would then want it in writting that I can come back full time september 2012 and don't know if they will do that.

4. Be careful - it is so hard to get a full time position with any responsibility after being part-time. You just get looked at in a certain way for being part time which you can never recover from! I've seen it happen to so many female colleagues.

5. I have just finished a Primary PGCE and have two interviews this week. Both for year 3, one full-time and one part-time. I have three children (all at school) and am separated from my husband. Would working full-time be taking on too much? Or ido you think 80% NQT teaching time is manageable with the family?

6. OP - I wouldn't go part time unless you know you don't want promotion in the future. I know teaching the other subjects will be a pain but I'd grin and bear it and apply for other jobs.
    Your school may not let you go part time anyway but even if they do they can insist that it is a permanent change.

7. It depends on your school. I haven't got children but worked around 60 hours a week in my NQT year - this was pre PPA and NQT release time.
    Remember that your NQT time will only be for the first year and then you'll have to do 90%. Having said that if you managed full time through the PGCE then you should be OK during your NQT year.

8. aowensey

aowensey New commenter

I am a senco and took a 3 day a week post, I managed to get a 1 day a week job in another school as a senco as well. This has been good for me, 4 days work a week; I've had time to study - needed to do the National senco qualification.

Do you think that another job in a different school would work for you too? It gives you a different perspective and some variety. I could go for another 1 day a week job if I wanted to be the equivalent of full time.

It felt like a bit of a gamble going part time but it's worked for me.

9. I have always wanted to go into a special needs teaching so have though about going into a local special needs school for the day I am not teaching. I haven't looked into this and think i might have to do it volentaty but if it leads to a better job next year then I don't mind.
    I can't really take any more acction until I see the Head on monday to see wear I stand. They might not even let me go part time.

10. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

At this point, the timetable for next year is probably well under way, and so your food tech teaching may already be distributed across every day of the week. So if they did let you go part-time, they might not be able to make it a whole day off.
    It would be very sensible to look at what you might do with the extra time - reducing your hours will look less weak if you use the time positively. The special needs thing is a thought, but obviously might be a problem if you don't have a full day spare. Another option might be to look at teaching an evening class or similar.
    Are there any charities/projects in your area which work with adults with special needs, or teenage mums, or anything like that? They might be delighted to have someone who might do a cookery course (perhaps with some basic skills thrown in), and might be flexible on timing.
    If you're interested in special needs, it's worth making sure the head knows that - you never know - they might find ways to help you within school.

11. Thanks for all the advice all I need to do now is get a meeting with the head. He has cancled me 4 times.