1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I go for this job advertised?? Am fed up with rejection!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by vou, May 29, 2011.

1. vou

vou

Basically for the last three years have been applying for teaching positions! Started off with no interviews but more recently - had 2 interviews in this month. Sounds good but I never seem to be the 'stronger candidate'. Have had 12 years of solid class experience in ks2 and then 8 years of part time supply work which has well and truly stuffed me!! Ok - have managed to get experience working in foundation and ks1 but this isn't good enough because it's not termly just odd days/weeks/couple of months here and there.
    Why am I typing this? Am wondering if I should wait for the teaching agency I work for since sept to get me long term placement - so at least I can put this on my application form or just keep applying for permanent jobs. I really felt it when I applied for a teaching position which involved doing ppa work across a primary school which I felt I had the experience but no luck. The last one was for a year's contract in ks2 but still no luck. I suspect I maybe too expensive as I am on main scale 6 on the teaching ladder and haven't co-ordinated a subject while doing supply!! Also, no termly work with one class - was given this as a reason for not getting one job I went for last year.
    Have seen a permanent position in a school I did supply work in about 2 years ago - only for 3 weeks. Do I go for it!! Can't handle any more rejection!! Am tempted to start looking for other jobs not involving teaching this summer if I can't get anything for sept.
    What do you think??

2. vou

vou

Basically for the last three years have been applying for teaching positions! Started off with no interviews but more recently - had 2 interviews in this month. Sounds good but I never seem to be the 'stronger candidate'. Have had 12 years of solid class experience in ks2 and then 8 years of part time supply work which has well and truly stuffed me!! Ok - have managed to get experience working in foundation and ks1 but this isn't good enough because it's not termly just odd days/weeks/couple of months here and there.
    Why am I typing this? Am wondering if I should wait for the teaching agency I work for since sept to get me long term placement - so at least I can put this on my application form or just keep applying for permanent jobs. I really felt it when I applied for a teaching position which involved doing ppa work across a primary school which I felt I had the experience but no luck. The last one was for a year's contract in ks2 but still no luck. I suspect I maybe too expensive as I am on main scale 6 on the teaching ladder and haven't co-ordinated a subject while doing supply!! Also, no termly work with one class - was given this as a reason for not getting one job I went for last year.
    Have seen a permanent position in a school I did supply work in about 2 years ago - only for 3 weeks. Do I go for it!! Can't handle any more rejection!! Am tempted to start looking for other jobs not involving teaching this summer if I can't get anything for sept.
    What do you think??

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would say 'Go for it!'. If you don't you'll always wonder what might have happened? You're obviously getting interviews from your applications.
    Best of luck!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, being at M6 is not an advantage nowadays. Nor is trying to get into Primary permanent. Despite the rise in demography in the early years, especially in London and other big cities, there are still way too many Primary teachers for the jobs around.
    This is one reason why you have had little supply work. And another one why it is unlikely that your agency will get you a long-term post.
    Very unlikely, sorry!
    Once people have handed in their notice for September on 31 May, there will be a flurry of jobs that need to be filled, and only those not in permanent employment can apply.
    So there will be more jobs, and you will have as good chance!
    Make sure you know about all the vacancies - sign up for a JobAlert here on TES in the Jobs section. Do one for Independent schools too. Look at the websites of your local authority every day for possible new jobs.
    Do present your supply work positively:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Make sure that you open the Welcome thread and read the shortlisting clickables inside, to get advice that has really helped othet posters.
    The benefit of an executive summary
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    taking Theo's Advice
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

5. vou

vou

Dear Lara and Theo - thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes, Lara you are right, will go for it. Yes, Theo you are right too. I was just feeling sorry for myself - my last interview had been last friday so I was feeling quite sore from it all. But have had a few good nights of sleep and a couple of good walks. Will stay focus. Act on feedback from interviews. At least I am getting interviews as you quite rightly put it Lara. :)