1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I go for it??

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by thetapdancingteach, Jan 23, 2020.

1. thetapdancingteach

thetapdancingteach New commenter

Hi everyone!
    I'm currently an NQT in the UK teaching English, but I have all but made the decision to leave at the end of the summer term. I was absolutely miserable on the run up to Christmas, and even though this term has felt better so far, I'm not sure I can face feeling like that again.

I know that in the future I want to do a Masters degree, but I want to save up some money for that before I do it, so I need another job for at least another year. I have a TEFL certificate too, so I'm considering making the move to international teaching from September. I went to a school in Vietnam on a two-week experience programme last year and I loved it, so I'm thinking of maybe going back there or perhaps Thailand. I considered China, but it seems like there are some issues in China for foreign teachers? Maybe just horror stories but I'm not sure!

So basically, I just feel I need a bit more advice from people who've done it before:
    1. Will it be better than teaching in the UK?
    2. Will I be able to save up anything? (I realise that depends partly on my lifestyle, but y'know- are the salaries good?)
    3. Any advice in terms of countries to avoid/to look for.

Thanks everyone!

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I think i would cross China of your list.

3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I wouldn't cross China off. Its great.

4. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Look for something that's good for you. I like China. Others don't. Some people like their schools, others don't. Some want to party at the weekend, some want to explore. Some want countryside, some want city. Have a think about what you want and then decide. You go TEFL, you won't earn as much as being an international teacher. But you might have more stresses regarding planning. If you have any more questions you want to ask, I'm more than happy to help if you send me a private message.

5. Bsmart19

Bsmart19 New commenter

I guess the first thing to say is: international teaching isn’t any easier! It comes with different pressures. Sure you get better pay, nicer holidays and your students are often more respectful... BUT parents are paying a lot of money for the experience and you need to deliver.

I don’t wish to deter you from your plan, it’s just that I’d want to know why you want to stop teaching at your current school after only part of your nqt year?

Wanting to do a masters I understand, but if it’s just for money to do that, you need to consider carefully if you really want to be in the classroom?? If you don’t, it’s really not fair to the children you’ll, presumably, be teaching GCSE and A level to, or even just helping them to learn English.

Anyway to answer the other parts of your question, Thailand has excellent salaries but China is where you’ll make the most. As for saving, I support my husband, have amazing holidays and do as we please and we can still save. (Not to brag. We’re not big drinkers tho which eats budgets in Asia)

It is better than teaching in the UK for lots of reasons, but you need to make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons or you might find it all goes wrong and it’s not just a case of making it to the end of the year...

On the flip side, perhaps you’ll rediscover your love of teaching which I assume is why you started in the first place?

6. Bsmart19

Bsmart19 New commenter

Oh and finally, only having an nqt year behind you might not guarantee a great school, which might not guarantee a better experience than the one you’re currently having or amazing pay... food for thought.

If you want to only use your TEFL tho, I’m sure you’ll be in high demand!

7. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Having TEFL perhaps makes you more attractive to those schools that run dedicated EAL departments alongside English-as-a-First-Language drepartments, as you could straddle both.

As I understand it:
    a) you are slightly late to the party in terms of recruitment cycles for Asia
    b) outside Europe (which is where you will earn enough to save) most schools request a minimum of 2 years

Good luck though. It might be worth bearing in mind that nothing ever feels as bad as that first, long term as an NQT. Teaching gets better.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The standard procedure is to contact a smelly old hippo.

polandha likes this.