1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I get paid for inset days.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sjdennis22, Jul 20, 2016.

1. sjdennis22

sjdennis22 New commenter

I have been offered a job through my supply agency September until Christmas. I have been asked to attend 2 inset days in the six weeks hols. Will I get paid for these? Last week I went into school for a meet the children where I had to teach for the afternoon, I was expected to get paid for this afternoon but never did, should I have done. I don't want to seem petty but it is my living.
    Thanks

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

If you don't tell your agency that you expect to be paid they may well not do it. Tell them you expect to be paid for the day you went in and the INSET days. If they decline to pay you, don't attend the INSET days. If you don't sort this out now you may have similar problems throughout the year. Always ask if you will be paid for any attendance at a school, including interviews.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Also ensure younaee getting a higher daily rate to account for the marking and planning younwill be doing.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If you have been asked to attend these days then you should expect to be paid. Often these days are used to plan lessons and prepare resources which are all things needed for the post you will be taking on.

But what can happen is that a school arranges some CPD training, maybe asking in a consultant. The school might then extend an invitation to you to attend this in order to further your career. In which case you might not get paid.

In short; if you have been asked in and its mandatory then its paid but if you have been invited in and its not compulsory then you cannot insist on payment.

PS its certainly not being petty, teaching isn't a hobby its a wage earner.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

As said above, don't shy away from asking the agency. If they 're not paying, you don't have to go in.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

totally agree. Agencies skim off huge amounts to start with.
    When working for them you go from salaried to hourly paid.
    So as with any consultant you only work when you are being paid for the hours spent on site.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

Make sure you ask em. They should pay you to scale as it's a longer term role

pepper5 likes this.
  8. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I think that you don't have to go in unless you are being paid for it. OR unless you want to go anyways as part of your CPD so that you are up to date with stuff.

I am going to 2 inset days (by choice) and don't expect to be paid because my agency told me they would pay me for the number of teaching days in the school year.

So I guess that means they won't pay me for the inset days.

they asked me to start on 5th september, although there are two inset days before.

9. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

So I have decided to go to the inset days just to keep up to date.

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

It wouldn't surprise me if you were asked to pay to attend.