1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I even want another teaching post?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by littlemissraw, Jan 21, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I left my last school in July after a horrible back half of my NQT, due to a clash of personailities with the HoD (the most polite way I can put it!). I loved teaching, and the kids and 95% of the staff were terrific.
    So now when I should be pleased that jobs are starting to appear why do I just have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach? Anyone else felt like this?

2. littlemissraw

I left my last school in July after a horrible back half of my NQT, due to a clash of personailities with the HoD (the most polite way I can put it!). I loved teaching, and the kids and 95% of the staff were terrific.
    So now when I should be pleased that jobs are starting to appear why do I just have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach? Anyone else felt like this?

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

When I started teaching, I felt like that before the start of every new term. You'll be fine once you get back into school. I hate interview lessons, but really it's the thought of them that's worse, Once you're ten minutes in, you get into teacher-mode and it's fine.

4. Hi there,
    I know how you feel. I started a new school in Sepember 2009 with one term of my NQT to finish. Right from the off I had a feeling that it wasn't right...and within a few weeks I was proved right. I won't go into too much detail but basically I think it was a case of they tried everything to give me enough rope to hang myself...I went in trying to be enthusiastic and full of ideas and tried to put my own stamp on the class etc.....they didn't like it....even though the kids were making progress from what I considered to be very poor levels (even though they were able children.....it had already been intimated that enough progress had not been made the year before by another teacher) so I thought that if they could see the progress that that would be good enough....I was pulled up on this that and the other and told to do this, then a few weeks later I was told not to do this anymore and to do that instead.....then there was all the pathetic things in between that I got wrong...you wouldn't believe some of the stuff even if i told you! I constantly felt sick...you know that feeling when you're being observed and you're stomach is in knots...I had that every minute of everyday cos the HT would walk into a lesson at any moment...she would usually come in at least once a day....and I was always thinking oh god what will be wrong this time. She would never comment on how good things were...only if things were wrong. So the kids had to know what they were doing at all times, and you could never just relax and enjoy being with the children, and if I ever went off planning for any reason I could be in trouble. It went on like this and I don't even know how I survived...well I didn't, but looking back I don't know how I got as far as I did. Ironically when the HT saw that I was on the verge of a breakdown they then tried to haul it back and say I was a good teacher blah blah blah. I ended up signed off at Easter with a very serious illness (not stress) but I believe it was caused by 7 months of non stop stress. My contract was only one year so it ran out whilst I was under going gruelling treatment and I'm glad to be out of there. When I started looking for jobs again in October time I felt like you because I was just remembering how I felt before and thinking that it would be the same again. Luckily I secured a post in October to start in Jan. I've just finished my 4th week and although I am tired, I am enjoying it and the staff are being fantastic. Every school is different, there's good and bad in all of them, and it's partly luck and partly knowing what you like and trusting your instinct when applying. Look round potential schools and speak to staff and try to suss out if there's a good ethos I hope you work out what you want and if you do decide to try again in another school I hope it is nicer than your last one. Sorry for the long post which is not split up but I don't know how to paragraph!!!

5. littlemissraw

Glad to hear it does get better, I know how that feels forever blue.
    I've been teaching in an Uni since September and I really love it but the lack of hours is taking a huge toll financially. I know I couldn't cope if my third term back in secondary teaching was anything like my last term treading on eggshells though as this is really putting me off applying.

6. Hi littlemissraw,
    I know what you mean, I was on supply last term (well technically, I did about 4 days all term as so little supply here!) and kept applying for jobs, doing a few interviews. I felt like I was lying in every interview because the thought of going back to the stress of it all made me feel physically sick and gave me insomnia! I have, personally, decided it's not for me. It has too much of an effect on my health and I can't cope with the constant anxiety. Plus I've never been convinced I'm any good at it, and can't help thinking I'd be better off in a less pressured environment. For now anyway, I've decided to apply for work outside of teaching, and have been looking into work in colleges and unis etc (non-teaching) as I've done this before and preferred it.
    Weigh up the pros and cons and try to work out if you still really want to teach or not. Either way you don't have to decide straight away as I don't believe there is a time limit apart from the 16 month supply rule??
    Best of luck :)