1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I drop out or risk failing?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ajajaynecooke, Jun 23, 2018.

1. ajajaynecooke

ajajaynecooke New commenter

hi all,

I’m in a bit of a dilemma. I’ve heard that if you fail a PGCE you can’t retake it (I know you can retake placements and assignments) but not the whole year. I don’t know if this is true but just what I’ve heard and that if you drop out you have a better chance of retaking.

Anyway, my experience is as follows.
    I only decided I wanted to teach about 18 months ago and I applied to do a PGCE for straight after I finished my undergraduate in Film (which I had always geared my life to do).
    I loved the University aspects when I started and I really loved my first placement in Year 3. I was doing way more teaching than I should’ve been because I enjoyed it so much. I was receiving grade 2’s (1 being best and 5 being worst) and I knew this was what I wanted to do. I was teacher ready just from this placement and I was over the moon.

I knew a lot of people on my course had some quite bad experiences with their first placement so I believed I was very lucky.
    When I started my second placement I was placed in Year 2 as I had to do my second experience in the opposite key stage even know I knew from the start I never wanted the younger classes. The staff and pupils were lovely but something did feel different.

Both my class teacher and mentor were a lot more busy than my previous ones and I found it difficult to get a good amount of time with either of them. Two weeks in I found out I failed one of my university essays which completely threw me. Still to this day I haven’t had adequate feedback and it knocked me badly which begun to affect my placement. I had interviews lined up but I was rejected as they couldn’t commit to someone that now wouldn’t know if they were qualified until October so I got into a masters course in film (since it’s what I knew and was good at).

I never really came back from it and my grades have been going from 2 - 3 and back to 2 and back to 3. Although my teaching has been good my new University mentor found one little thing wrong with my file and she told me how worrying it was even though everything else was basically perfect and this really put me down.
    I feel my confidence isn’t going to make a comeback even though the staff have been supportive. Yesterday I was told that I might fail (after having several conversations worrying that I might and being reassured that I’ll be okay) and I told them my worries of if I fail being able to never retake again. So they’ve given me the weekend to decide if I want to carry on or not.

It’s literally 9 days left in school so I feel like I want to try but I’m also worried they’ve made up their mind. They said they don’t think teaching is for me and that my heart isn’t in it which is such a shame because my first placement couldn’t have been more opposite. I want to prove to them that this is what I want to do but I also feel that I’ve given 100% in trying to prove this the last few weeks. I’m worried I have nothing left to give and that this is it.

An advice on how to go about this?
    Sorry about the essay

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I'm afraid it might be a case of too little and too late- second placements are usually the crux of the training. You do need to have this conversation with the student support about your options. Universities have their own individual sets of processes and procedures and you need to check that these have been followed particularly as regards to feedback on a failing assignment. Finance is also one of the key considerations you need to take into account in any resit situation