1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I drop out of ANOTHER career?!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MissPrimary123, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MissPrimary123

MissPrimary123 New commenter

I've worked as a healthcare professional for 2 years but dropped out due to dislike of the profession. I took up teaching in hope I wouldn't dread going to work every morning but I was very naive! Teaching isn't as bad as my first career but it's not making me happy. I can't see myself doing it long term... it's just so draining. Literally my brain can't retain all I need to do, I'm quite overwhelmed. When I started I was enthusiastic and had some 'mojo'. I'm now in my third year and I feel like a husk of a teacher.

My problem is... what do I do next? I can't leave mid year. At my 'meet the teacher' meeting today after school the first question all the parents asked me was "Are you staying?! Please say you're planning on staying the whole year". Their last teacher left at Christmas and they had a string of supplies. I've also moved school each year in persuit of a school that suited me (3 schools in under 3 years doesn't look good... or does it? I'm good at interviews! :p)

I'm planning on staying the year to make sure the children get some consistency but how do I go about looking for a new career?? I just want to do something that I can leave when I finish for the day and pick up the next morning, rather than bring my workload home with me each night and every weekend.

This has been asked so many time on this website and others like it... but... what kind of jobs have people gone into after teaching?!

And more importantly where did they find the job?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's a case of finding a balance.
    Sometimes I've heard careers advisers almostsuggesting that work is like Butlins only without the knobbly knees. (I paraphrase more than somewhat).
    Work is not like that for most people, they go to work to do stuff that the boss doesn't want to do or hasn't time (or the skills) to do in exchange for some wages.
    You don't go to work to be happy. If you can enjoy what you're doing, or consider that it's important enough to justify the effort, or have some colleagues who lighten the load then that's good.
    At the moment teaching is full on and stressful. There are signs that things may improve workload-wise, but I suspect the changes will be smaller than most teachers hope.
    Not much use asking me about alternative careers, I ended up doing more teaching, just not mainstream stuff.

thekillers likes this.
  3. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Don't see it as dropping out. See it as putting your happiness first.

annarg, les25paul, Shedman and 9 others like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Get out - listen to your gut instincts. Go where you are happy while you can.:cool:

5. dauralora

dauralora New commenter

I'm exactly in the same place as you and would love to know what people have done next.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'm no good at this because I came into teaching to lessen my workload.

I do wonder how many careers there are which are both interesting enough to make you happy at work and let you walk out at hometime without thinking about it until the next day. If you like teaching but not the workload, could you do a TA or other support role in school? That said, I would never suggest staying in a job that makes you unhappy.

jonwell675 and Tinycat1234 like this.
  7. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

If it makes you unhappy and grinds you down it will make you ill in the end. In my opinion, without that enthusiasm, there's no way you can meet the demands of the job and retain sanity.

You certainly can't achieve a decent work / life balance either way. It is impossible to work only the paid hours.

Teaching is a pretty thankless job at the moment (it used to be better - honestly!).

jonwell675, Anonymity and install like this.
  8. MissPrimary123

MissPrimary123 New commenter

Thank you everyone for your replies! It's nice to know I'm not alone in this situation and that people can empathise with me. Usually when I speak to Non-teachers about this issue they're scoff and tell me I have it easy "all that holiday and you're only babysitting really...try working in the private sector blah blah blah" I'm glad no ones replied and told me to suck it up, get on with it because teaching isn't THAT bad. I'm still debating what to do. I don't want to be seen as flakey and indecisive but I also don't want to let these children down and teach when my heart isn't in it anymore.

Argh! Maybe I should start a employment agency focusing on finding new jobs for ex teaching staff!?! Haha

9. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If you like the teaching part, but hate the workload part, consider going abroad to teach...

Alldone likes this.
  10. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

That is a fantastic idea! You would have a massive clientele and would be providing a valuable, much needed service.

11. Michie1

Michie1 New commenter

I love the way everyone thinks teaching abroad is a holiday. It may be in some countries, but in others , especially in those where they have set up sister schools of U.K. Public schools, the hours are much longer, never ending demands from owners, admin, SLT etc Same as uk or even worse. Many places have ofsted equivalent inspections , you are expected to help out on weekends etc with activities, and no such thing as unions or rights so schools can basically do as they like because there will always be a trail of young ones to take your place when you've had enough. After 20 yrs, like the OP I am desperately also searching for a change of career......hoping for a flash of inspiration.

12. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Don't waste your time talking to such people. Find a new group of people to talk to.

I've worked as a teacher, and I now work in the private sector. My current job is a doddle compared to teaching. If I was "arguing" the point with your non-teacher acquaintances (and frankly I wouldn't bother), I might say that if they were good and efficient at their jobs, they wouldn't be having what they perceive to be such a tough time.

install likes this.
  13. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

University schools and colleges work for me. Though it's hard to come by. I have a low base salary but the best holiday allowance outside of teaching (35 days before bank hols) and I still work with school children on curriculum content. I tutor in my free time using the Tutorpages. No leaving the country, still in education and not such a diversion.

The rub is there is little progression but I'm happy and free to do a lot more rewarding and creative work.

14. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Who is this 'everyone' that you speak of? If you are referring to my comment above, I am only one person, but it is pretty much a holiday where I am! Small teaching load, generally nice kids, loads of money. Not perfect by a long stretch, but shockingly better than the UK.

jonwell675 and Alldone like this.
  15. exploration

exploration New commenter

Where is it you work? You're secondary English if I remember rightly...

Edit: I tried to quote you blueskydreaming but I obviously didn't do it right :confused:

16. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

If you really don't like it, definitely look for something else.

If you like the teaching side of things, look for work in Universities (outreach for work with schools and colleges still or you may be suitable for some academic posts). Also look at the education departments of museums/charities in the areas that interest you.

install likes this.
  17. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

I think in the public sector you have to have a real desire to do what you do. There's certainly few other rewards. Maybe it's time to just think about jobs that are well paid and 9-5 (lots out there in big cities). Then you can get the feel good factor from hobbies, volunteering etc. It wouldn't work for me, but I know pleanty of people that it does work for! Teaching can be very rewarding but I think it's also possible to find it rewarding to recieve a nice pay packet and a work life balance elsewhere in other careers.

install likes this.
  18. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

'I just want to do something that I can leave when I finish for the day and pick up the next morning, rather than bring my workload home with me each night and every weekend. '

Unless you're prepared to come in with the caretaker opening up and leave with him/her locking up you've got no chance with teaching of that!

Employers are perhaps overskeptical of career changers (maybe we should rephrase it to some catchy marketing statement like 'In my career I have experienced a three hundred and sixty degree range of practiced competencies making me an ideal rounded individual' or something!)

Ultimately we get one life and you should find something that makes you happy, although you may have to accept most careers/jobs come with challenges and aspects we have to accept!

19. Flyingmachine

Flyingmachine New commenter

I left teaching and work as an outdoor instructor/trainer now. However, I am starting an NHS funded MSc Occupational Therapy course soon. For me, that was the way forward :)

20. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter