1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I detect in a change in philosophy in the Foundation Stage?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BrainJim, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I went on a course last week which was for mainly reception teachers and TAs. The course leader suggested that if children where going to reach letter and sounds expectations/phase 5 by the end of year 1 they would need greater opportunities to write in reception. When some teachers asked did this mean more formal teaching and learning in reception she stated that she expected more schools to have children completing phonics writing to supplement their phonic carpet sessions therefore the most straightforward and time saving way would be to have the some children undertaking more formal sessions (table based). Is this a misinterpretation on my part or has anyone else heard of any change of emphasis.

2. I went on a course last week which was for mainly reception teachers and TAs. The course leader suggested that if children where going to reach letter and sounds expectations/phase 5 by the end of year 1 they would need greater opportunities to write in reception. When some teachers asked did this mean more formal teaching and learning in reception she stated that she expected more schools to have children completing phonics writing to supplement their phonic carpet sessions therefore the most straightforward and time saving way would be to have the some children undertaking more formal sessions (table based). Is this a misinterpretation on my part or has anyone else heard of any change of emphasis.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No change then [​IMG]it's what most schools I know have always done