1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

do i declare a past drug problem on my health assessment questionnaire?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by amigono1, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Advice please...I have just completed my GTP and am due to start my first teaching job in January. I have been given a health assessment form to fill in and am in a bit of a panic...it asks if I have ever had a problem with drugs and I have (heroin), but have been clean for 11 years now. I have not declared this before on any previous health questionnaired and although I dont want to lie on the form I am scared what will happen if I dont declare it and get found out...will I get sacked? a horrible way to be starting my first job...but if I come clean will my job offer be withdrawn? and then will they ask why I have not declared it before? Personally I think I have been clean so long that it is irrelevant, however prejudice still exists and I am in a real conundrum...can anyone help? Thanks

2. Advice please...I have just completed my GTP and am due to start my first teaching job in January. I have been given a health assessment form to fill in and am in a bit of a panic...it asks if I have ever had a problem with drugs and I have (heroin), but have been clean for 11 years now. I have not declared this before on any previous health questionnaired and although I dont want to lie on the form I am scared what will happen if I dont declare it and get found out...will I get sacked? a horrible way to be starting my first job...but if I come clean will my job offer be withdrawn? and then will they ask why I have not declared it before? Personally I think I have been clean so long that it is irrelevant, however prejudice still exists and I am in a real conundrum...can anyone help? Thanks

3. Yes, if you knowingly lie about or conceal details, you can be sacked. Not sure of the exact legalities of it (as in, gross misconduct vs voiding the offer) but the short version is, you can lose your job.
    I had this concern for PGCE as I had, in my teens, a multitude of mental health issues that resulted in a lot of not attending class, eating disorders, self harm and panic attacks. I declared this and got a call from the occupational health bods- to discuss when it was, if it was recurrent and if it still affected me (no). They then assured me it would NOT be passed to anyone who would be involved with my course (the only way my tutor would find out is through me telling him, for example) and that if I did find things stressful, to please come and talk to X, Y or Z service- all very confidential.