1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do Hotmail accounts get hijacked?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlemissraw, Dec 24, 2010.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

To spam people with adverts.
    To spread viruses.
    To gain access to any info you have saved (passwords etc) x

2. Lovely! I wish them a Merry Christmas too!

This is the first time that I have had something dodgy coming from an address that I actually know.

3. Hotmail is quite notorious for being hacked.

4. I am so naive!
    So they people who use the account, can they use it at the same time as you are using it? (I'm just wondering if people could be using mine? My friends may be getting all sorts of nonsense...well actually they probably wouldn't notice a difference!)

5. Yes they can.
    I had all manner of stuff sent out from my hotmail account to my unsuspecting contacts and new nothing about it until my very baffled dad rang me to ask about the content of some of the ones he had received from me!

6. I bet that was an interesting conversation! Thanks for that!

I emailed my friend to say that I had received something fishy.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

This thread is interesting....I have a number of different e-mail accounts, and a couple of weeks ago one of my hotmail accounts startes sending strange letters to people on my list - the letters contained a link which noone has yet opened!
    I was asked on three occassions why I was sending this stuff - and denied all knowledge....but from this thread it seems my account may have been hijacked?

8. Yes, if it is sending random stuff with links in then it has been hijacked.
    Here's hoping that none of your friends open any of the links.

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

If you have more than one email account, it's not a bad idea to have your other address in your address book, so you know when something is being mailed out to everyone.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have had several emails recently to my school account from a student's hotmail account. All of them are spam with links to advertising on medication websites.

11. God yes, mine gets done at least twice a year. I had cause to email my hospital consultant six months ago and unfortunately he has now twice received an email from "me" asking if he would like to see Susie suck a horse with an 18" dick.
    My son told me to switch to Mozilla Firefox, open a new email account with anyone but Hotmail, delete all the addresses from my contact lists in the old ones and avoid setting up a contact list, however convenient, in the new one. And never never reply to emails that appear to be genuinely misdirected. [​IMG]

12. Christ, that made me laugh. Merry Christmas, Lil.
    [​IMG]

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

the other thing is to also change your password to your account....you are supposed to do it regular...but we all know we dont.
    I use firefox and rarely get such problems because it has a good firewall which prevents such things entering although it does let such hotmail things from friends which i just delete and then tell the friends.

14. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

My Hotmail account was hacked into a while ago, some "try these good deals at this foreign mobile phone website" emails were sent to everyone in my Contacts list, then all the contacts were deleted!! I googled the problem, found there were thousands of people who had had this happen, and contacted Microsoft Support as suggested. They were able to send me a list of my contacts and I since changed my password, and am prompted to do so every 3 months. No problems since, and I'm still using Hotmail.

15. I had an email from my own hotmail account! Something had emailed everything in my addrerss book, so I deleted my hotmail address book.

16. It happens regularly, don't panice just change your password and clear your cache regularly.
    Someone panicked my mum (I suspect a know it all uncle) and she changed accounts and spent hours setting all of her retirement projects back up with the new details!
    When we pointed out that she could have just changed her password she was furious - with hotmail for being so open and their lack of help and uncle for being so sure he was right!
    I too have an alternate account included in my address book and can confirm that since I started to change my password every couple of months I no longer get hacked!

17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Following on from this, I seem to recall last time I changed my hotmail password I was offered the option of changing it every six weeks. Maybe they ought to strongly recommend this rather than just have it a suggestion.

18. I don't think it is just a Hotmail thing. I've had a few emails from addresses in my address book, I think spyware got in somehow. I've had a few spam emails purporting to come from myself. I hate to think others in my address book got spam with my address on it. I don't have a Hotmail account.