1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do headteachers have the time to volunteer for educational research?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Shamila96, Apr 10, 2019.

?

Would you take part in a research project where you bring in personal artefacts to show CQ?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Aslong as data is kept anonymous

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Shamila96

Shamila96 New commenter

Hi All,

I am planning on carrying out research into CQ of headteachers and how they are perceived by parents.
    I have been told that headteachers would be reluctant to take part in this research.

I wanted to know your views. How likely would you be to volunteer for research into cultural intelligence, if it was in the form of an identity box activity... where you share photos and artefacts and talk about your cultural experiences in an informal manner?

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

What's cq?

Pomza likes this.
  3. Shamila96

Shamila96 New commenter

Cultural intelligence: CQ is ‘a system of interacting knowledge and skills, linked by cultural metacognition which enable people to adapt to and shape the cultural aspects of their environment’ (Thomas et al, 2008: 126).

In the context of a school it would be the cultural knowledge and skills headteachers have that enable them to cater for the needs of the cultures of the students and parents when making policies etc.

For example if the school demographic is largely working parents, the school might set up breakfast clubs/after school clubs so that parents don't need to hire a child minder.

Or if the demographic is parents who cannot speak English, setting up an esol class or requesting such provision from the LA.

4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Thanks for clarifying. I think.whoever told you that heads wouldn't have time etc was probably right I'm afraid.

Shamila96 likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm not a headteacher but I doubt many of the heads I know would have the time to do this. It sounds quite time consuming. I might be wrong though. You might get a better response if you said more about yourself and the context of your research.

Shamila96 likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Isn't this just called common sense?

(I'm not a head, so maybe don't have the CQ to understand.)

Shamila96 and digoryvenn like this.
  7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Ha! Ha! That's what I thought too!

I am not a head anymore, so perhaps I don't understand either!

I have done a quick search on google and I think it may be more complicated than Shamila's explanation.
    It is about the " ability to function effectively in culturally diverse settings".

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhh well that's me definitely out then! I don't generally function effectively in any setting! :D

Shamila96 and digoryvenn like this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I am no longer a head, so it doesn't really apply.

If I still were, then I may be able to find the time to take part in research provided there was a significant financial contribution to the school for my time.

Otherwise no.

10. Shamila96

Shamila96 New commenter

Thank you for all your replies. They are greatly appreciated. I'm completing a Masters in Education and have chosen to carry out research into the above question for my dissertation. After reading the responses I believe I need to refine the question.

Sorry no financial contribution lol Full time student here

Most literature into CQ explains the benefits of it for international business leaders, school leaders in other countries and expat teachers. I found it strange that no research had been conducted in the UK seeing as we live in such a diverse society.

11. Shamila96

Shamila96 New commenter

Lol that made me laugh You are right that for some people this would seem to be common sense, because of a high level of CQ they can easily adapt to a culturally diverse society without having to think twice. Everyone has CQ just like IQ with some having higher levels than others.

12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Let me check I’m understanding this - So if I recognise that there is a need for a breakfast and after school club in my school, this is an example of my possessing ‘cultural intelligence’?

(As opposed to simply acknowledging the blindingly obvious...)

13. Shamila96

Shamila96 New commenter

If you recognised that need by analysing the culture of the community your school serves then yes that would be an example.

Many schools do not provide these facilities even when there is a need.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teachaway.com/blog/importance-cultural-intelligence-cq-teachers?amp

This is a good post on CQ if anyone wants a read.
    Two main points about CQ from that article are-

CQ in the classroom, or cultural competence, is “having an awareness of one’s own cultural identity and views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on the varying cultural and community norms of students and their families... the ability to understand the within-group differences that make each student unique, while celebrating the between-group variations that make our [world] a tapestry” (National Education Association).

A teacher with a high CQ is capable or “empower[ing] students intellectually, socially, emotionally, and politically by using cultural referents to impart knowledge, skills, and attitudes” (Ladson-Billings).

14. Shamila96

Shamila96 New commenter

I have found the comments to be really useful. One of the key themes in these comments is what is CQ. Which highlights the fact that before even conducting this research I would need to be able to effectively explain what CQ is and why it matters in a school setting instead of assuming that headteachers would already be familiar with this theoretical concept.