1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do guided reading notes for ORT books exist?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by freckles88, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Sorry if I seem a bit silly but I was wondering if there is anywhere I can download teacher notes to use in guided reading for the ORT books, or if they even exist? I am a teaching assistant but have a small group of children for guided reading each morning. I have never done guided reading before so I am looking for the teacher notes for the guided reading books to give me a point in the right direction and give me something to start with, as I know other reading schemes provide these. I have trailed through the ORT website and each time I seem to click on something it directs me back to the same page and I can't find what I need. I think these things must exist because I have infront of me some resources for one of the books but the school doesn't have them for all of the books. Any ideas where I can find them? Thanks!

2. Sorry if I seem a bit silly but I was wondering if there is anywhere I can download teacher notes to use in guided reading for the ORT books, or if they even exist? I am a teaching assistant but have a small group of children for guided reading each morning. I have never done guided reading before so I am looking for the teacher notes for the guided reading books to give me a point in the right direction and give me something to start with, as I know other reading schemes provide these. I have trailed through the ORT website and each time I seem to click on something it directs me back to the same page and I can't find what I need. I think these things must exist because I have infront of me some resources for one of the books but the school doesn't have them for all of the books. Any ideas where I can find them? Thanks!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can't help direct you to such, but if you have a set in front of you, use those as a basis for your questions.
    Questions will mainly fall into 'decoding'- Point to this word on the page', where do you find it? line 1/ top page etc., then what does this word mean, do you know?, Looking at the sentence /pictures can you guess? Sound it out (if possible)
    Predictive- What do you think will happen next/ when we turn over the page? Cover some words, can the children guess what the words might be?
    Interacting with the text - How does xxx feel? Why? Which word tells you? etc.
    For Non-Fiction extend to pointing out features, pictures/graphs/ bullet points etc.
    Have probably forgotten an important set of questions but no doubt someone else will add.
    Just noticed you said you <u>hadn't</u> done GR before, mis-read it previously, so you really need to ask your class teacher forsome information and do a bit of research yourself.

4. Well, I have done some guided reading before but only the odd session, never a structured session every day, week in week out if you know what I mean. I know what guided reading is and how to do it, just need a few pointers to help fill my sessions when I'm doing it every day! :)

5. Lara mfl 05

Well presumably if you're doing it every day, you'll have different groups each day, so need to have avariety of books depending on ability of each group. Have a handle on monitoring where each group is and noting down who did well/ answered perceptively/ having difficulty decoding/ having difficulty with specific phonics etc. Different abilities will cover the booksin different lengths of time. Phonic games to play with words you encounter could be used as fillers/treats for finishing what you hoped to cover each session.
    Questions such as I've suggested are fairly generic and would fit any text. Don't forget to do the Look at the cover/ back of book exercises to 'predict' the type of book/ content . Where's the author's name? etc before you start the actual reading.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

7. Lara mfl 05

You never cease to amaze me how you always know where to look marlin.[​IMG]

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

9. I've found it useful to have the reading APP statements to refer to. Even better if someone has translated them into "childspeak"

10. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Years ago they did make cards for the books, but not sure if they still do.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Oxford-Reading-Tree-Stages-6-10-Robins-Pack-1-Guided-Reading-Cards-Jo-Apperley/9780198454212

11. Lara mfl 05

try http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/english/englishbooks_readingschemes.htm and look for the Stage 10 document.