1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do fewer pupils now need help with reading?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by mashabell, Dec 23, 2010.

1. I am trying to find out if greater use of phonics has made any noticeable difference to the reading and writing skills of new entrants to secondary schools.
    I asked on the ESN and English forums and got no replies, other than that it's still too soon to tell, as synthetic phonics has only become mandatory a few years ago. One person suggested yesterday that I should ask on this forum instead.
    It seems to me that phonics in some form has been on the up and up since 1998. I heard Chris Jolly say at a conference back in 2005 that 60% of primary schools in England were already using Jollyphonics back then. It must be difficult to find any school in the UK that has not been using phonics for some time now.
    Has it made a noticeable difference? Are at least pupils at the top end of primary school beginning to read noticeably better? Are fewer entrants to secondary school needing help with reading.
    Please let me know what u think, if u can spare the time.
    If u would be more willing to reply to me personally rather than on here,
    u can email me directly: mashabell@aol.com
    Masha Bell
    Ex English teacher, now independent literacy researcher
    Author of
    www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk<font size="2">
    </font>http://EnglishSpellingProblems.blogspot.com

2. I am currently employed as a TA in a comprehensive school.I work with year 7 ,8 and 9 pupils and the current intake of year 7 still need the same if not more support with reading and spelling .Many pupils attend the successmaker computer programme everyday to improve reading and spelling.