1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do fewer pupils need help with reading now?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by takethatno1fan, Dec 27, 2010.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I think this is quite difficult to answer. Some argue that more children are being identified as needing intervention which suggests children are continuing to struggle despite synthetic phonics.
    All I can say is I've been teaching SEN for over 7 years and the number of children being referred for assessment/intervention certainly aren't decreasing.

2. Thank u for replying.
    I wouldn't expect much improvement for as long as all words with some tricky-to-read letters remain as they are, e.g. read, could, would, should, you, your, one, said ....

3. Absolutely!
    Three of my grandchildren (aged 7, 5 and 5) are learning to read now and are flying along, but they all already have more books than I had by the age of 20.
    Their parents (and we as grandparents quite a bit too) started reading to them almost as soon as they were born. There was also endless chatter and lots of 'I spy' on car journeys. Their parents now also do all the reading homework they bring home very conscientiously.
    The younger two are now beginning to want to learn to read for themselves the books they first fell in love with and know or half-know, by heart: The Gruffalo, The Cat in the Hat ...
    And then I remember the kids I used to help as a reading volunteer, and I get crosser about English spelling than ever before.
    Words like
    one, who, know, you, your, could, should, said, good, have, call, there, put, high
    make my grandchildren stumble, despite all the advantages they've had. For kids without such help, learning to read English is a nightmare.

4. I think we must
    have Rezutatele not
    occur
    overnight. Have
    much
    work
    to
    obtain
    and
    people
    dedicated
    to the profession.

5. Which really just goes to prove that being surrounded by books and being read to a lot does not teach children what they really need to know in order to learn to read i.e. how the English Alphabetic code works.
    I wouldn't expect the two 5 year olds to have encountered most of the correspondences in the words you list, but in an SP classroom most 7y olds would have no problem at all with any of them.

6. I have worked in the same secondary school for 15 years and have assessed year 7 on arrival using a comprehension test every year. The results have not varied very much over the years so that suggests that children have not improved in spite of better phonic teaching at primary school.
    I retest the students at the end of year 7 using the same test and the vast majority make good or outstanding progress.
    Poor vocabulary skills are the biggest concern I have. Too much time spent watching TV or using games consoles means they don't interact with language so they don't learn the meaning of the words they hear.

7. Yes I do think there has been an improvement in recent years. Certainly since the introduction of Letters and Sounds/Read Write Inc in my school there have been noticeably fewer children entering KS2 in need of additional reading support. Those who do need support seem to have a much better grasp of basic phonics and better phonological awareness although they still have problems of fluency caused partly, I believe, by slow naming speed and also poor receptive vocabulary which reduces their ability to lexicalise partially decoded words. Synthetic phonics is not a complete cure-all but I think it is making a real difference.
    Annie

8. Thank u for your comment, but I am really more interested in how children fare by the end of KS2 rather than the beginning.
    KS1 phonics teaching tends to be very controlled nowadays, sticking to mainly regularly spelt words. I would expect most children to do well with that. But does this help them to cope better with the hundreds of silly English spellings which they meet in far greater numbers in KS2?

9. Your ignorance of synthetic phonics teaching is absolutely breathtaking, masha.