1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do FE Teachers (PGCE FE qualified) have a GTC number??

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by ewenwitchfinderhater, Jul 22, 2008.

1. A few technical questions for the experts on this subject:

1. Do all people with a PGCE regardless of what type it is (primary, secondary or FE) and when they qualifed have a GTC number (e.g. I obtained my PGCE (post-compulsory) from the University of London on 1st August 2005)?

2. What's the difference between the GTC number and DCFS number (if any)?

3. Does a GTC number have anything to do with QTS if you have a PGCE (post-compulsory)?

4. If FE teachers also have GTC numbers, why do they need them if the law says that they are unqualified to work in a school and now have their own 'body' (IFL)?

Btw, if GTC and DFCS numbers have nothing to do with FE teachers, why are so many FE teachers on here worrying about whether they have one or not?

Thanks

CW

2. Not an expert but this is my understanding:

1. Do all people with a PGCE regardless of what type it is (primary,
    secondary or FE) and when they qualifed have a GTC number (e.g. I
    obtained my PGCE (post-compulsory) from the University of London on 1st
    August 2005)?
    No, only PGCE QTS have a GTC number, as long as they are paid up members.
    2. What's the difference between the GTC number and DCFS number (if any)?
    They are the same

3. Does a GTC number have anything to do with QTS if you have a PGCE (post-compulsory)?
    I don't believe so. If the PGCE (post-compulsory) is the only TT qualification you have, then you don't have QTS and therefore are not eligable to join the GTC.

4. If FE teachers also have GTC numbers, why do they need them if
    the law says that they are unqualified to work in a school and now have
    their own 'body' (IFL)?

They don't have GTC numbers unless, as in my case, they have QTS.

Btw, if GTC and DFCS numbers have nothing to do with FE teachers,
    why are so many FE teachers on here worrying about whether they have
    one or not?

I don't know.

Thanks

CW

3. Thanks Mandala! That was my understanding too but the posts on this topic confused me! :)

I'm less confused now though! :)

4. Classwisperer asked:

"1. Do all people with a PGCE regardless of what type it is (primary, secondary or FE) and when they qualified have a GTC number (e.g. I obtained my PGCE (post-compulsory) from the University of London on 1st August 2005)?"

I dont know. I do know though that ALL those who obtained their PGCE AND started to work as teachers before 2002 had DfES ( DES or whatever you want to call it ) numbers.

This number is the same as the GTC number for those who have QTS. The GTC also keep a list of those who have such numbers but have FE PGCE .

I suspect, but cannot actually confirm that all PGCE FE holders and those working as teachers do in fact have such numbers regardless of when they trained still whether or not they are entitled to QTS or membership of the GTC. It does seem though that most FE teachers are unaware of having been allocated such a number probably because they are not told. I only found out by accident about mine.

It may be that now they do not allocate DFSC numbers to FE trained teachers in the way they used to. I dont know.

Your GTC/ QTS number is also in my experience the same as your TPS number ( except I do not have a TPS number because I am not in the TPS but I found this out by accident also. The GTC do not hold their own register, they just have access to the DfES / TPS one. They cannot change any details on the register. In order for that to happen the TPS has to be notified and they change details. I got this information when a small detail was not correct on my registration and the GTC asked me to write to the TPS ( to which I do not belong) and get it corrected so it would show up correctly on their register.

"2. What's the difference between the GTC number and DCFS number (if any)?"

Answer is above - none as far as I know.

"3. Does a GTC number have anything to do with QTS if you have a PGCE (post-compulsory)?"

If you have a PGCE post compulsory you should not have a GTC number or QTS ( unless you are like me and have registration by having qualified before QTS existed.

However, if you have a PGCE and then obtain QTS I do not know how they allocate you a GTC number. My GTC number is the same as my DfES ( DES) and ( none existent) TPS number.

4. If FE teachers also have GTC numbers, why do they need them if the law says that they are unqualified to work in a school and now have their own 'body' (IFL)?

FE teachers do not need GTC numbers . If you are a member of the IfL ( and I am) your IfL number is absolutely nothing like your DfES / GTC number. If you do not have QTS you should not need a GTC number.

"Btw, if GTC and DFCS numbers have nothing to do with FE teachers, why are so many FE teachers on here worrying about whether they have one or not?"

err..... I could tell you but I am not going to. They should not really need to worry about it but if you do have such a number ( a DFES/ DFCS number) and you know it , it does have its uses lets put it that way.

5. Thanks *******. I didn't expect you to explain why as I have an idea of this which is for the same reason why I asked the questions :) Unfortunately, it seems that the issues discussed in this thread don't apply to me. I was 2 years too late! :) Still, those 2 years were well spent, so I don't regret the delay! :)

Thanks again to all those who cleared these issues up for me! It seems that school 6th forms are barred for me at least for the time being! :) I shall be following the development of the TDA IFL QTLS school CPD scheme with interest! :)

CW

6. pic

pic New commenter

Very interested to read about the IfL - and the fact that NATFHE helped to initiate it. I'm in Scotland (and an EIS rep in an FE college) - the situation in Scotland seems to be that if you have completed your TQFE, you are eligible to join the GTC(S). There is no equivalent of the IfL.
    However - the GTC(S) don't seem so sure that you can join... as it's EIS policy to promote the idea of a professional body for FE lecturers, I thought I'd try it - several phone calls, wrong forms etc later, and I'm still not sure exactly what the process is. I get the very distinct impression that GTC(S) is uncomfortable with FE registration, particularly as we have no equivalent of probation (and most TQFE lecturers still start teaching without a teaching qualification and achieve TQFE part time over several years).
    So it is useful to know that an alternative exists, and I'll follow this up further. Thanks!