1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do FE Teachers (PGCE FE qualified) have a GTC number??

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by ewenwitchfinderhater, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Hi

I've read a thread on here recently (can't find it now) where a poster said that FE teachers (ie, PGCE FE qualified) DO actually have a GTC number! This isn't true is it as I thought to get a GTC number you had to have QTS.

Can anyone clarify this? I rang the GTC direct today and - guess what - the temp didn't know!!!!!

2. Hi

I've read a thread on here recently (can't find it now) where a poster said that FE teachers (ie, PGCE FE qualified) DO actually have a GTC number! This isn't true is it as I thought to get a GTC number you had to have QTS.

Can anyone clarify this? I rang the GTC direct today and - guess what - the temp didn't know!!!!!

3. Only a member of the GTC can have a GTC number, surely you must know whether or not you are registered with the GTC.

4. My understanding is that only people with QTS need to join the GTC. As witchy says, you would know whether you had registered - there is a fee. FE people have the IfL.

5. No, we don't, because the PGCE (Post-compulsory) does not lead to QTS and only teachers with QTS can register with the GTC. If you're filling in a form and it asks for this number, leave it blank. Also, if there's a box saying do you have QTS, tick no.

As previous posters have said, after September 2007, all PGCE (FE)courses now lead to QTLS and teachers have to register with the Institute for Learning.

Btw, if you got your PGCE before 2001, or between 2001 and 2007, you don't have to do anything, but it's recommended that you join the IfL as part of our professional practice. I got my PGCE in August 2005 and joined in September last year.

Hope this post helps!

sopsychedout (I misspelt my username when joining TES because I typed it in too quickly).

6. Sugar! I logged in with the wrong username! Ok, this is signed lynsita.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No PGCE FE holders don't have GTC numbers. We do have Teacher Reference Numbers:

Third Officer posted this last week:

"I phoned the GTC in England, who supplied the necessary info. You will need your National Insurance and date of birth.
    0870 001 0308. "

I was in a similar position, trying to find out more info on IfL but with no TRN, so they wouldn't speak to me! Once I called GTCE was given it after just one call.

British civil quango servants; enough to

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Our PGCE PCET course was infuriatingly bad. All the useful information we needed was never mentioned once.

So I decided to clarify it for myself.

If you teach FE in England (regardless of where you live or where you acquired your PGCE for FE)you must register with the Institute for Learning. This will give you the licence to teach FE in England. It will lead to QTLS. You will need your Teacher Reference Number to join.

If You teach FE in Wales, no equivilant body exists, so QTLS isn't available yet.

Scotland and Northern Ireland. Sorry, I couldn't find the answers for them. Did search but it didn't make sense.

9. "Btw, if you got your PGCE before 2001, or between 2001 and 2007, you don't have to do anything, but it's recommended that you join the IfL as part of our professional practice."

Yes you do - it is law to join, not a recommendation.

10. My how the law does change! This wasn't the case for pre 2007 teachers a few weeks ago.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

How odd.
    The TRN was the first thing they asked me.
    But as I live and work in Wales, it wasn't a requirement to join. Only if I want to work in England.

Which is something I am really considering....

12. "My how the law does change! This wasn't the case for pre 2007 teachers a few weeks ago."

Sorry whisperer, the law hasn't changed you are just wrong; plain, old-fashioned wrong.

13. TRN ?????

No idea what that is - don't think I have one, or where to get one if I need one!

But I AM a member of IfL!

And the pre-2001 thing is about qualification levels, not the need to register with IfL.

All FE lecturers MUST register.

Those who did their quals / started teaching in sector before Sept 2001 do NOT have to upgrade their certs, in order to achieve QTLS!

Doubtless someone will disagree....

Perhaps someone will exaplain the TRN!

:D

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Teacher Reference Number = TRN

It replaced the DfES Reference Number, but is the same number if you already have it.

You should have been registered at the start of your PGCE (seconadary, primary or FE) by your college.

It is only active if you become QTS and only QTS.

I have tried to find out for QTLS (which is England only) but have yet to hear from IfL

IfL is mandatory only if you lecture in FE in England.

Wales has no equal body and does not recognise QTLS.

Confused? Not the only one.

15. Thanks FP,

No PGCE, did C+G CFET - cos I have only worked in FE + HE - so employer would't have registered me for one - presumably!

I guess I could get one if I choose to do the QTS thing :)

16. I repeat, I have been keeping up to date with this issue via the IfL and life-long learning uk websites and I can assure you that all info that I've read up on regarding FE teacher training reforms states that pre 2007 FE teachers who had PGCE (post-compulsory) qualifications when the 2007 white paper came into being were still qualified to teach in FE and did NOT have to get QTLS or do any futher teacher training BUT it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED as part of their CPD.

If you don't believe me, read these links:

http://www.lluk.org/documents/lluk_few_summary_sheet_oct0...

http://www.lluk.org/documents/fewr_faqs_fe_260308.pdf

http://www.dius.gov.uk/publications/guide2007no2264.pdf

Paragraph 15 is particularly relevant.

http://www.ifl.ac.uk/services/p_wwv_page?id=523&session_i...

Please note that paragraph which states that licensed practitioner status is NOT mandatory for all and that pre 2007 teachers are 'encouraged' rather than legally obligated to get QTLS. However, you are correct when you say that all FE teachers (except those who already have QTS) MUST register with the IfL and engage in CPD. I never thought otherwise, which is why I registered with the IfL as soon as it came ino being. If my post gave a different impression, I apologise. However, I think that certain users on here owe me an apology for their rudeness and the suggestion that I was expressing a view without supporting evidence!

Sincerely yours

Classwhisperer.

17. OK.

So CWs link 1 is a good map, and I personally, am 'encouraged' to gain QT(L)S

Link 2 is the one that explains that I had to gain full level 4 qualification before Aug this year to remain in the above category. This is because I started teaching FE AFTER Sept 2001.

Is it this that is causing the problem?

I was informed that my C+G CFET level 4(2) was not enough and that I had to gain CFET 4(3) by this August - which I did. No problem for me, passed it no probs. And it will be APLd, just waiting for the certificate. Ring IfL, give themm the cert number, get Member status. Easy (fingers crossed).

BUT I do know that some lecturers were not told of this in time and will now have to undertake the PTLL CTLL DTLL stuff, as per the 2007 LLUK regs:

"Teachers, tutors and trainers who started teaching between 2001 and 2007 must comply with the qualification requirements within the 2001 regulations (namely the full Level 4 award for full time teachers, tutors and trainers and recognised stages for part time teachers, tutors and trainers)."
    p.4 of 2nd link.

I THINK that the angry posts here MAY be because of the 3 tiers in evidence, pre 2001, 2001 - 2007 and post 2007.

But CWs links do show what I was told I had to achieve - being in that middle group!

Or are we all still posting at cross purposes?

18. Whisperer, in response to:

Lynsita:
    ?Btw, if you got your PGCE before 2001, or between 2001 and 2007, you don't have to do anything, but it's recommended that you join the IfL as part of our professional practice. I got my PGCE in August 2005 and joined in September last year.?

Witchfinder:
    ?Yes you do - it is law to join, not a recommendation.?

You said:
    ?My how the law does change! This wasn't the case for pre 2007 teachers a few weeks ago. ?

This discussion was about REGISTRATION, not QUALIFICATIONS or QTLS ? introducing the separate regulation dealing with qualification is a little disingenuous on your part. I owe you no apology.

19. "Who needs to register with the IfL?
    All teachers, tutors and trainers need to register with the IfL unless they are already registered with the GTC."
    http://www.lluk.org/documents/fewr_faqs_fe_260308.pdf

And that is where we came in, do FE Lecturers actually have a GTC number?

And I thank FP for clarifying that for me :)

20. "do FE Lecturers actually have a GTC number?"

Yes, if they are registered with the GTC (obviously)