1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do Exam moderators penalise for going over the word count in CAT?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by dovoro, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I executed the written report for my Year 10 class using the GCSE Spec (WJEC), but totally missed the line that said 'no more than 1,500 words in length'..

Are my students going to be penalised for this? I've just started marking the papers and when I checked the spec I saw the note about the word limit. I'm kicking myself and feel I've totally messed things up.

I'm also worried about losing the faith and trust of my class in me to be able to deliver the course correctly if I have to ask them to re-write the report. It's not due to be submitted until next May, but if anyone knows tha answer to this please help!!

2. Hi all,

I executed the written report for my Year 10 class using the GCSE Spec (WJEC), but totally missed the line that said 'no more than 1,500 words in length'..

Are my students going to be penalised for this? I've just started marking the papers and when I checked the spec I saw the note about the word limit. I'm kicking myself and feel I've totally messed things up.

I'm also worried about losing the faith and trust of my class in me to be able to deliver the course correctly if I have to ask them to re-write the report. It's not due to be submitted until next May, but if anyone knows tha answer to this please help!!

3. Quite agree. Praise them for what they have done and tell them it has to be edited down to the word limit. It's a skills that's important in life. You could remind them that if they use Twitter, they only have 140 characters and the tweet won't send if it's longer, so editing down is essential. And editing is something they should be doing in other subjects as part and parcel of learning. They've done the hard bit - the getting ideas down and shaped, now it's the easy bit. All of that should keep them on side and, in the process of editing, they should make their ideas sharper as well.