1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

do departmental report cards work?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Mr_G_ICT, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

HI,

just looking at ways i can implement that will improve the behaviour of some of the students in my dept. I'm thinking about a departmental report card, as well as a reward card system to try and get students to work.(There is already a shcool report card system, but obviously that doesn't identify poor behaviour in one subject)

thinking:
    initial parent meeting to agree targets
    develop targets, parents sign weekly over a 4 week basis
    review targets after a month with parent to look at next steps.

is there any research to show this would work? does anyone have any personal experience of departmental report cards?

the reward card is for looking at rewarding the 90% who get it right, giving students rewards (this is just a business card atm) for the good work they do.

thoughts?

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

If there is a particular behaviour issue in one subject the subject reports can work well especially if the parents are supportive.

The issue you may have is the time it would need per student i.e. two separate meetings. I would suggest an initial meeting with the student with a letter / email / phone call to the parents. At the end of the four weeks, if all is well a phone call / email to say that all was well or a meeting if there was no / insufficient improvement.

3. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

cheers, have used them before in previous schools, but it's been a while since i implemented them. wondered if they had been discredited now (as things in education usually are) or if they were still seen as a good move.

4. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

I have used them in my current school and my previous school. They never made any difference. They always just delayed the inevitable Tutor Report by a week or so. By all means contact parents - that can be useful and productive - but the report is a waste of paper and effort.

Also, check that the poor behaviour IS only in your subject - my experience is that 9 times out of 10 it isn't, just that colleagues in other subjects aren't logging behaviour incidents or have higher tolerance levels for poor behaviour than you.