1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do beards contain more poo than a toilet?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35350886

It seems that whilst beards attract bacteria, they can also grow antibiotics. The article says Trust Me I'm a Doctor on BB2 this evening will be advising on whether beards are good or bad for our health.

Whatever they advise, I've no intention of growing a beard though.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Good. I'd have to go off you big-time if you did!

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I don't know why any assumption would be made that a beard (except some of the long straggly ridiculous ones, or the full "terrorist") would contain anything more than might be found on a man's face. Men sans beard, I assume, do not wash their face with more frequency, and the skin can have all sorts adhering to it that may have missed or dribbled from the mouth. One might make a case for the hirsute washing their mush more frequently because they know the odd bit of food can get lodged. It should not require some "doctor" to work this out, but as many young men have jumped on the bandwagon and grown the full "terrorist" perhaps some of them need to know.

4. grumpydogwoman

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Do you also dislike; hairy heads, chests, legs, feet, pits, p ubes? Because dislike of facial hair is just as ridiculous.

6. grumpydogwoman

No. It's just beards! I don't know that it's ridiculous. Illogical. Oh, go on then. You can ridicule my foibles if you like!

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It will be interesting to see whether the programme discusses pubic hair as well.

8. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Before or after you flush?

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Excellent!
    I'm going to keep my beard though :D

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I tried a beard once. It turned into a huge curly brilliant red one. Looked awful and was itchy. Nowadays if I let it grow for a few days (because I am too lazy to shave) it is patchy white and grey. I'm sure it would look even worse than it did before, if I let it grow.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I would put it to the jury that beards have been around considerably longer than this recent effeminate skin chin fad that some men choose to adopt as a form of facial cross-dressing.

We beardies also provide a valuable social service in preventing the sewage system from being overwhelmed.

yodaami2 likes this.
  12. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

stipe.jpg

I am finding this topic ..... very difficult!

Mr Stipe has grown a full beard..... (and had a circular nose ring inserted ...you know the ones which make it look like your nose is running/has run!) The beard is stained due to his *sigh smoking habit.
    This all grieves me dreadfully......

I find men with beards tend to "fiddle" with them.... unknowingly maybe but incessantly.....

Helenremfan ....doesn't like beards :(

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

If ever there were a good advertisement for not having a beard? I give you - M Stipe Esq.

14. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Why do so many men think a grey beard looks good? Is it a desire to look geriatric before time?

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When you say your prayers tonight why not ask God?

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Where there's hair there's a need to scratch and the rest is transfer.

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Beards are yuk. Mr Twit had a sardine in his.

18. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I don't mind a neat, kempt-looking, shortish beard. It's the Full Terrorist I hate. Think of all the food fragments that are festering away in there, and the birds' nests.

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I had a beard once many years ago for a few years, I never felt I was really washing my face in the normal way with all that hair in the way, I'd also often have to go and give it a bit of a wash in the moustache area after eating.

They are good in the cold though, especially at keeping the wind off your face.

20. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless New commenter

You pitiful fool! My beard is not for any Earthling to like or dislike! I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms.