1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do any of you think that supply will be non-existent next year?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by andrew07, Mar 21, 2016.

1. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Those of you who are getting work this year on a regular basis, do you think that will continue next year?

2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

No idea. Honestly.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It is so hard to predict how much work there will be. This year has been my busiest year for some time, but who knows about next year? However, I am blessed to live in Ares with a lot of schools who seem to need and use supply teachers, but a lot of the work is in challenging schools. I have managed to get work in three fairly good schools which keep,me busy, but those relationships have been built up over time.

Yoda- likes this.
  4. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

I am optimistic as see no likelihood of FT teachers getting less sick...

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I am not at all optimistic. The last four years have been very lean and this last year non-existent.

6. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

Another marvellous year of full-time supply at an excellent rate, albeit in a tough school most teachers would run from because of behaviour and a confusing / confused / clueless SLT. It will be interesting to see the situation in two years after returning from a stint abroad, but my guess is it will be just as great; Maths and Computer Science will still be in demand and more teachers will have thrown in the towel than ever before for health reasons.

PizzoCalabro likes this.
  7. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

I'm not optimistic at all.
    Last year and the one previous were great for supply.
    This year it has been limited.
    Part of the reason has been the absolute mammoth amount of teachers deciding to abandon full time posts for supply which is a very unwise move.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  8. Kenmuir1

Kenmuir1 New commenter

[This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    People are sleep walking into a deluded prison by their own violation thinking that somehow it is fine when it is not.
    It is depressingly dark times for supply and we can no longer ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2016
  9. PizzoCalabro

Many of the older teachers leaving for supply are naïve - assume an agency will snap them up for their 'experience' and pay them what they have been earning FT (for what is a different job). They do not do any due diligence or leg work on agencies and expect them to be the same protective cocoon they have had as public sector employees. They are not the reason you are not getting work, because they won't be getting asked back themselves - I see them appear form time to time once in a staffroom, looking bewildered, complaining about behaviour, and then never see them again.
    They would be far better negotiating an arrangement with the school they have left, but negotiating seems an entirely alien concept...

10. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Exactly Pizzo. It's about cutting your own deal. Agencies are not your employer. They are intermediaries. There are hundreds of them so you have to sift through them
    There is a general shortage of teachers. There is also a greatly increased incidence of long term absence due to SRI.
    However short term, day to day supply has declined. Schools cover in house to save money.
    However, there is plenty of medium to long term cover work. The agencies don't create the jobs, schools don't have to pay exorbitant agency fees. So it stands to reason, if you look in the wrong place, of course you won't find what you're looking for.

11. DaleX100

DaleX100 New commenter

Interesting.
    I have observed when in schools that the teachers with lots of repeat bookings seem to be young, enthusiastic, meticulous and hardworking post-pgce types who do not have the cynicism or sense of entitlement within the job as much as the older teachers who have left for supply and just sit and discipline the students but do no actual teaching as such. I am 39 so am getting on a bit in teaching terms so maybe age is a bit of a factor. Either that or teachers with a long association with a school get lots of work. Anyone else is a last resort it seems.
    No bitterness here, just making an observation. A cover organiser in one school I worked at did articulate that they do expect the same from supplies as permanent staff and very often cover work is not left as the school is on two sites so the head of department may not be available so the school prefers the cover teachers to keep the students working and have a 'tool kit' of lessons to teach. Younger Post-PGCE types are less likely to resent this level of input as they are still young and enthusiastic, whereas many older teachers who left full time posts for supply do as they often leave as they feel supply may be easier and their is less of a workload.
    They trick then is to do the same work as a full time teacher and to not see it is an easier option as it is not. That way you will get more work. However, is all the hassle worth it? People are probably better just staying in full time jobs or getting out of teaching.

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Most schools expect the supply teacher to keep students on task and learning as far as possible. It is not good enough just to sit at the teacher's desk and do your own work. Day to day supply does not have the planning and marking an contracted post willnhave, but long term cover will and that kind of supply is like being full time.

13. PizzoCalabro

I see it as different but complementary. I expect to have work set, and not to mark it, but I do expect to actively teach the class, circulate to ensure on task and giving help/explanation as necessary, and also will ensure there is eg a plenary to do a quick Afl on the task and providing extension for those who finish early. If is my own subject I do have resources of my own, but as extras, not to replace the work that should be set. If it is not my subject I will still do every thing I can to ensure the pupils get 'value' from me being there. I have enormous admiration for the FT teachers who do all the other extra stuff, but as I ma not prepared to do it, accept that my income will be lower than theirs..

pepper5 likes this.
  14. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

On the other hand, if you can encourage peer marking or marking as a class when circumstances allow it makes the contracted teacher's life a little easier.

It doesn't require much effort from you but it can help in getting you repeat bookings.

15. PizzoCalabro

Get now all repeat bookings, but agree if you can do some 'marking' in class.

16. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Supply teaching will continue, I think they may be a drop in regional demand and the different sectors, but the key issue as been revealed in a news story, in which it as been estimated that over the next few years school budgets will fall by around 8%. This means schools my not be able to afford to use too many supply teachers or will they use CS instead or will they demand supply teachers on a lower rate then at present. Combine this with increasing school debts, to the extent that some schools are reducing the numbers of non-essential teachers (for example, teachers in less popular subjects) to save money and one teacher in a local academy asked me about supply, because the teacher was expecting to be made redundant sooner or later. Then you must consider the drive to academy status of all schools by the government and when a school becomes an academy the can legally use unqualified staff to teach more freely then when it is a council controlled school, not that this as stopped them at present.

I expect supply to continue, but the cuts and government policies will have an impact, but the level of the impact is open to debate and only the experience of supply teachers will tell of the level of the impact on use long suffering supply teachers across the country and the educational sectors.

17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

No matter how many cover supervisors, TAs and other support staff schools have to help with the cover of classes, they too get sick or are off for other reasons and schools have to use supply staff. This year has been my busiest year and I anticipate next year being exactly the same in the area I live in. The reason being is that schools are finding it difficult to recruit and keep teachers because the working conditions in some schools are awful. The behaviour is getting harder and harder to manage and the workloads and class sizes huge. Teachers are being asked to do the impossible. As the economy starts to recover and more jobs outside teaching become available, more people will leave.

Supply teaching has always been and always will be an insecure source of income because the nature of what it is.

PizzoCalabro and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Whats more is that when a cover supervisor is off sick the school still has to pay their wages in addition to the cost of a supply teacher. Schools also have to pay them for INSET days, snow days and the days when a school is fully staffed and no cover required.

CSs might save some money but I'm not convinced and my suspecions are backed up by the fact I've not seen a CS in a school for the last three or more years now.

I believe the need for supply teachers will remain constant but I also think that the number of supply teachers will drop soon following changes in the law regarding claiming expenses.

19. Kenmuir1

Kenmuir1 New commenter

Still, things are far from ideal.

20. Kenmuir1

Kenmuir1 New commenter

It's so important that people are not naively optimistic about the supply situation, and intoxicated by their own delusions that somehow it is a good way to earn a living when it is not.