1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do animal deterrents work?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mandylifeboats, Mar 24, 2016.

1. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

I don't want to fall out with my new neighbour but I am sick of his dog defecating on my lawn. He is over like a shot with a bag to clear it up, but the large beast scrapes at the soft wet lawn and is putting huge muddy ruts in it; plus i don't want my little ones crawling over recently-dumped-upon areas. My garden is also used by the neighbourhood cats. I had slightly hoped the new arrival of dog-dirt on my lawn might deter them but if anything it's got worse.

I looked online and there are whistly things and chemical sprays that are supposed to keep them away. Has anyone used them? Do they work? When I came back from work tonight there were (still are) two piles of different-looking cat muck and big scrapy marks from the dog. If they don't, I have a big roll of chicken wire I could stake out on there to keep them off but it's going to look pretty stupid.

Thanks in advance.

2. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

OK I get this isn't interesting topic of the year, but I have made replies to other posts that are even more boring and they are now visible.
    Should I say something frighteningly political? It seemed to me, having looked a bit before I jumped in, so to speak, that that might have been a reckless course of action.
    I'm a bit confused now. How should I behave here? Can somebody help? Esp with original prb.