1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do all your class make 3 sublevels progress?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teslagirls1, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

What I find hard is that parents seem to expect their children to make a sub level of progress every term. I had several parents having a go at me last term because their child hadn't moved, despite the fact that some had moved one sub level in one or more areas the previous term. It doesn't matter how much I say to them that not all children make progress at the same time and that their child is still doing well, the parents say they are "disappointed" that their child hasn't gone up each time. As an NQT I felt I was being reprimanded by lots of people for something that isn't my fault! I'm not looking forward to parents' evening this term, I can tell you that.

2. I have parents like that so I bore them with APP jargon and they soon back off.

3. I always use the 'can of peas' analogy ie children are not cans of peas and we cannot have the same 'quality control' as a canning factory and simply chuck out the faulty ones.
    Parents evening this term? You are writing reports aren't you? Why do you need to talk to them too?
    We have "settling in" parents' evening in October, "progress and targets" in Feb and then a friendly open evening after reports in July. Parents can, of course, make an appointment to see the teacher any time they like - but not a 6:30 pm "when I have got home from work and had my tea and you haven't" slot!

4. YES IT IS [​IMG]
    How great it is to hear that someone else feels the same way I do. I've no idea what a 2c looks like (personally I don't think anyone else does either) but I do know what my children can do and what they need to work on next.

5. What ever happened to the idea of education being a stimulating environment where young children took risks, experimented, asked difficult questions, became critical, analytical independent thinkers and discovered a lifelong love of learning?

It's called the IBO (Internation Baccalaureate Organisation).
    I am lucky enough to teach in an International School in Basel Switzerland running the IBO's Primary Years Programme and that is exactly the philosophy behind the way we teach. It can be very complicated when each child is following their own path during a Unit of Inquiry but the learning is child centred and streeses 'risk taking' reflection and being in control of one's own learning.
    The standard is high here, we seldom find students coming in from other systems are ahead of our students. Both my own boys who came through the Middle Years Programme and International Baccalaureate found the transition to British universities very easy as they were very well prepared
    I would certainly find it very hard to go back to the British system now.

6. Unfortunately this just isn't good enough. A new teacher needs to be given an appropriate level of support, obviously, but the children have the right to expect a high standard education whatever the experience level of their teacher. I have known many new teachers who enabled their pupils to make good progress right from the word go, and this is as it should be.
    Er...yes!! That's my job, and yours! That's what you're paid to do, and you absolutely should be accountable for it. Would you, as a parent, not want to know that your child's teacher is under pressure to make sure they make progress?!
    This should not be allowed to happen, especially with APP and with the use of tests such as optional SATS. Teachers should be able to provide evidence for the levels they've given.
    No, it's not enough. It's great, but it is absolutely not enough, and you really do need to reconsider your approach if you intend to make a career out of teaching.

7. Hi, at my school the children are only expected to make 2 sub-levels. All tracking sheets are on hand so if children have a good year e.g., make 3 or 4 sub-levels, they are given grace if they don't make the 2 sub-levesl the following year because they have previously made accelerated progress so the teacher/child doesn't feel so bad!

8. Hiya, As far as I have been told the national expectations is 3aps points per year (1.5 sublevels) on average. This is what the LA expect t see and anything greater is accelerated progress. however most schools expect to see 2 sublevels per pupil per year, and one FULL level per 2years as a minimum. They do look to see who is at ARE too etc etc

9. Fine.That sounds fair. Are your teaching staff aware of it?
    It certainly isn't made clear at my school! It is awful when my best and varied efforts don't seem to move the slow learners on.

10. Not to mention (in my last school this was the case) teachers saying that so-and-so has increased 2 sub-levels this year to make themselves look good / avoid a b0llocking from HT meaning by the time the child gets to Year 6 (which was my year group) the level the child is purported to be at doesn't match where they actually are...

Well said. I am often left bewildered by the results 'achieved' by pupils who clearly are not working at that level. This impacts on my chances of achieving the levels set for them to reach by end of the year.

11. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Yes, it is an informal parents' evening to discuss the report if they want. I reckon I can predict which parents will want to come and see me, though! I'm really pleased with the results this term, as most children have demonstrated great progress, both in class and in the assessments, but I'm sure some parents won't see it like that.
    Will have to practise spouting APP jargon and have the 'can of peas' line ready. Thanks for the tips!

12. Not management....Ofsted. I am management in a special school and we are also expected to progress our special needs pupils 2 levels of progress over KS2 by Ofsted.
    Management are just trying to keep the school from failing.

13. Our school is 2 sub levels of progress each year. And the 2 levels of progress between KS1 and KS2. Most of my class (y4/5) have made the required progress whereas some have not. I found in my pupil progress meeting that being able to justify this was helped by the use of the APP grids which in some cases totally agreed with their QCA scores, therefore that is the correct level for the child. In other cases their APP grids have shown them to be higher than their assesment. It is dufficult as you are under pressure to achieve the 2 sublevels. Your schools 3 sublevels seems rediculous. Remember also the KS2 levels and the KS1 levels don't exactly correlate so their will be discrepancies along the way. I am an NQT and I completely understand you feeling like you have not done enough. At the end of the day they are children not robots and we can only do our best and they have to perform on the assessment, it's just unfortunate when they don't. My advice to you is to enjoy this final term, identify any children who need extra support, get an IEP in place and give yourself a break.
    Louise

14. I can only imagine 1 or 2 children achieving 4 sub levels of progress. Do you mean points progress? If they arrive in year 2 at 1c they must need extra support to make such progress and if they arrive on 1a they would leave on 3c and so be well above average. I think someone in an earlier post commented that making such accelerated progress would be unrealistic across future years. In a 4 sub level scenario they'd end Year 3 on 4b!

15. I have got a pupil who got a 4b (averege) in his first year six sats , 4 months later we did practice sats and he got 5B for science,5c for maths this is great progrees

16. I am a year six teacher and a student called Nicolas got 5b for science,5c maths and 5c writng before he was a 4b for maths,3a for science, 3b for writing

17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We've all got the message, you've made unbelievable progress this year ( clearly shows you weren't trying last!) and are now a genius.
    Ok?

18. I'm sorry to say that I do get het up about it! It's so annoying! Grrrr