1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do all scales work like this?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tartetatin, Jul 14, 2012.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Morning all
    Bit of a random one, but yesterday I bought my first ever set of bathroom weighing scales (half price Salter ones at Sainsbury's). I find this strangely exciting and it will be useful to keep an eye on my weight, as I tend to put it on easily and quickly and this will help it from spiralling out of control ... in addition to a healthy diet, of course [​IMG]
    I have a fairly obsessive personality and it's all I can do to stop myself leaping on them every 2 minutes ;o) but I'm a tad dubious at how my weight fluctuates on them. Last night, I'd put on 2lbs after dinner (an egg salad) and this morning, I've lost about 3lbs off yesterday's original weight!
    Is this the norm with scales and/or your body, following eating and sleeping? I'm not sure if the scales are faulty, or if this is the body's natural way. When is the best time to weigh yourself for the most accurate reading?
    I have NO doubt that there will be many Tessers out there better with the whole 'science bit' than me!
    Many thanks.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Do you drink enough?

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Alcohol or water?

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I drink a lot of water actually - and alcohol only at weekends. I have a jug of water on my desk at work which holds 3 litres and I usually finish it by the time I leave to go home, I then drink water with my tea and I also drink water in an evening when I'm on the sofa. I drink more when I'm riding my bike or running, so I think I do get enough water. This has only been happening recently and I wondered if it was because I've been working some very long hours and my body clock might be all over the place. Normally I weigh 2-3lb less in a morning than in an evening.

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Thanks for your replies.
    They are electronic scales, on a hard surface.
    For the record, I drink nowhere near enough water :eek:( This is something I'm going to have to train myself to improve upon.

6. I find that my ankles swell slightly during the day, and overnight they usually return to normal - presumably this is one reason why I always weigh quite a lot less in the morning than the previous night. A couple of years ago I managed to lose 5 stone - it took a couple of years and often I found that I didn't lose weight at all one week, followed by a couple of weeks of losing half a pound a week. It took quite a lot of determination to keep going, but I did feel a lot healthier for it. I think I overdid it though and I couldn't maintain the weight I reached. I'm about two stone heavier now and would like to lose one of those. After four weeks I've lost 5 lbs but the scales are not my friend if I weigh myself too frequently - too dispiriting!