1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do ALL PGCE students need to do a week Primary School Experience?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by anon2048, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I've seen some chat about PGCE English people having to do it, but does everyone? I'm doing D&T.
    I have accepted an unconditional offer through GTTR but yet to hear from my Uni, so no details re start dates, requirements, reading lists etc. Perhaps I am being a little impatient, I did only hear Monday night!

2. I've seen some chat about PGCE English people having to do it, but does everyone? I'm doing D&T.
    I have accepted an unconditional offer through GTTR but yet to hear from my Uni, so no details re start dates, requirements, reading lists etc. Perhaps I am being a little impatient, I did only hear Monday night!

3. Yes, I think most ITT providers require you to complete a weeks PSE.
    ...It's helpful to see where the kids come from...to be able to remark on the differences between the educational settings.
    I'm also aware that I (doing ICT at IOE) will have to produce some written work based on my time in the primary school that counts towards my qualification.

4. ...but don't be worrying about all that. You will get information from you ITT provider in good time.

I know nothing about enrolling, reading lists, term dates etc... They send me a letter confirming my offer, aking me aware of the PSE requirement and saying I will her more from them from April onwards.
    So, until then I am doing nothing.

(Saying that though...my best friend happens to be deputy head of a primary school... So i'm hopefully going to hers for the week! [​IMG])

5. Thanks everyone. I won't do anything until I hear from Uni, but it's something to bear in mind.

6. This primary experience prior to starting your course is a real inconvenience. While you can understand the rationale for it (to get to know attainment levels, transition etc which will help when you come to teach Year 7 on your PGCE), you will have a real trouble finding a school to take you, esp if you don't have existing CRB clearance or you don't already have a good contact with a primary school. Most schools just don't want to be bothered, as it involves them in extra work with no financial compensation, unlike a proper placement, and they may already have ITT students whom they need to support and assess.
    So the sooner you hear about it, the better.

7. lucie19

lucie19 New commenter

What if you already have significant primary experience. Do you still need to do it?

8. Normally yes, because there is usually a task or tasks attached to your week in a primary school, which you are required to submit to your tutor during the induction period.

9. At my primary interview I was told to get two weeks experience in a primary school before the course if I was offered a place. I called my local primary and explained my situation. They said fine. Just tell them dates and they would do the CRB check for me (I pay).
    I do not suggest Alec 2005 is wrong. I just offer my experience of my local primary school being very helpful. I did not go to that school. It is just the closest to my house (the same housing estate).

10. Is it not often the case that ITT providers schedule a weeks observation at Primary into the first couple of weeks of the program in September? Thus the Obs. is done during the course as opposed to before?

11. This depends, some do, others ask you to arrange your own before the course starts without specifying the time scale, even in the summer term of previous academic year.