1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do all classes in a year group do exactly the same thing in the same way?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nixxinoo, Jan 19, 2012.

1. My head teacher has recently said that she will soon start lesson observations for this academic year.
    The only information she has given us about the observations is that if she is observing one class, and the deputy is observing another in the same year group, they will expect to see both teachers teaching the same lesson in exactly the same way.
    Is this normal? There are 5 classes in my year group, and although we follow the same planning and meet the same objectives, we do not deliver the lessons at the same time, or (obviously) in the same way.
    She never mentioned things like behaviour management, time management, input, groupings, use of TA etc etc!
    I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing to look for in an observation, as my colleagues and I are panicking now!!

2. My head teacher has recently said that she will soon start lesson observations for this academic year.
    The only information she has given us about the observations is that if she is observing one class, and the deputy is observing another in the same year group, they will expect to see both teachers teaching the same lesson in exactly the same way.
    Is this normal? There are 5 classes in my year group, and although we follow the same planning and meet the same objectives, we do not deliver the lessons at the same time, or (obviously) in the same way.
    She never mentioned things like behaviour management, time management, input, groupings, use of TA etc etc!
    I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing to look for in an observation, as my colleagues and I are panicking now!!

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Bit strange I'd say. Physically impossible in my school (and yours I'd imagine), as we only have the 1 ICT suite. Also only 1 forest school, and 1 music teacher to cover PPA. Therefore, like you, the kids do the same lessons, but not at the same time and not necessarily on the same day. Also, we alter the planning as the week goes on - for example my group have got on a lot better with maths this week so I'm a lesson ahead of the other class. Should I spend another lesson on something my kids have got, or should the other class forget the fact that half the kids didn't meet the LO yesterday and plough on regardless?

4. Five DIFFERENT people doing the SAME thing? Is that normal? Nah! Yes, the planning can be the same. Yes the content can be the same. The delivery, however, will suit the individual teacher. AND isn't it the outcome of the teaching and learning the thing that counts? Would you all be expected to fit into the same item of clothing and look identical? I doubt it .........

5. In my school we all plan together and yes we will be mostly doing the same activities throughout the week but they will all be delivered differently and at different times. We are also free to deviate from the planner if we see a different activity that is more relevant to our class etc.
    All I can say is strange!

6. While we shared year group planning (one of us did Literacy one of us did Numeracy) - our head would have gone nuts if we'd regarded the plans as gospel, not to be deviated or adapted from to reflect the needs of our individual classes. We also never taught the lessons at the same time - purely because we often only had one class-set of resources for things like scales - so it was ye olde one does it the session after the other system - time honoured and tested and much easier than trying to faff on with half a set of equipment instead. Sometimes one of us got on further with a subject, or one of our classes really didn't get something - and our head was always keen on our planning resembling something that had lost a fight with a red pen by the end of a week!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Isn't this what the French used to aspire to?

8. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

How ridiculous, what happened to working from the child? And what if you were able to put a certain spin on the lesson, like playing an instrument to introduce a maths concept whereas the other teacher can't play an instrument, does that mean you shouldn't make use of your full skill set? Do you know when they will be observing? Hopefully it will be at a time when your children are behind the others so you can try and force them to do the same things as the other classes and they will see how inappropriate it is!