1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do agency TA's get holiday/ sick pay?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hollyoverend, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Hi all,

I am a TA employed through an agency in a long-term temp position at a school. For context, I have been with the agency since 10th October 2019 getting consistent work (full time in 2 dif. schools through the same agency; position 1 was 10/10/2019 - 15/12/2019, second is 6/1/2020 - current).

I have a timesheet that I have left unsubmitted as I was under the impression that I wouldn't get paid for this as it was half-term holidays and so I was not on a 'job' (Feb half term), however my housemates all say they're sure agency workers do get holiday pay. I've had a little look online at workers rights forums and a lot of the info points to me getting paid for half-term.

Anyone able to offer knowledge about this please?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I think you should, but I'm not an agency worker so not certain. I've no idea how it would be worked out or paid. Are you in a union - they would be best placed to advise you.

3. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

You are not entitled to sick pay and you are only entitled to 5-6 weeks of holiday pay throughout the year (not sure if it's the annual or academic year).

I don't speak for all agencies, but my guess is they're all pretty much the same.

4. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

Yes I got holiday pay through agency, it just gets put on your payslip if you have any.