1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do agencies legally have to offer PAYE?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jon27qd, Jan 8, 2020.

1. jon27qd

jon27qd New commenter

Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked / written about elsewhere. I'm new to supply teaching (I have read the threads offering advice to newbies). I've been offered a post with an agency who say that they only offer payment through umbrella companies - one or two in particular, that they would like me to use. I'm going to end up paying a lot in employers' NI contributions if I have to do this, (the agency offer a small 'uplift' in daily rate, but actually not enough to cover both the employers' NI contributions and the UC admin fees!) I spoke to another agency this afternoon and mentioned this; they were surprised - they said that legally agencies have to offer a choice between PAYE and UCs. Does anyone know if this is the case? Can I insist on the agency paying me via PAYE?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My agency pays through PAYE and they made no mention of umbrella companies at my interview.

If they won’t pay you via PAYE find a different agency.

3. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I work for one agency where I get paid through an umbrella but the advertised rate was the one I receive and they up lift it to cover all the costs. Work out the extra costs and add the to the daily rate ( then a bit more) and tell them that's the rate you will work for. Alternatively as above go with a different agency.