1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DNA

Discussion in 'English' started by nellskip, Feb 12, 2012.

1. nellskip

nellskip New commenter

Morning :). Has anyone taught DNA yet in the AQA Spec for Lit Unit 1? I would really like to use this with a more challenging group, but will face the issue of language use! In a school where we had a massive problem with swearing, and have now calmed it down, I'm not sure how well it would go down as a suggested text... Anyone tried and succeeded?

2. nellskip

nellskip New commenter

Morning :). Has anyone taught DNA yet in the AQA Spec for Lit Unit 1? I would really like to use this with a more challenging group, but will face the issue of language use! In a school where we had a massive problem with swearing, and have now calmed it down, I'm not sure how well it would go down as a suggested text... Anyone tried and succeeded?

3. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

I've just finished teaching DNA for the time-being and it worked very well, but then I taught it to a top set.
    I don't think you should avoid it because of the swearing issue, as it addresses some of the challenging aspects of social behaviour and for that it is a very valuable text. The swearing didn't seem to have a high profile when we read it. Kelly makes some interesting links to DNA through Leah's speeches to Phil and my class thoroughly engaged in investigating these.
    The AQA scheme of work is a good starting point, but we worked through the rest of the play making use of some of the suggested tasks in the back of the school version of the play.
    It's a shame there are no essays on the AQA website to use with students, I wrote my own essay and got the students to mark that. They then worked on a collaborative essay on typewith.me which produced some sophisticated responses.
    There are some clips from school productions of the play on Youtube that you can use to discuss the different ways that the play is presented; we used an interview with Kelly from the Telegraph and an article about gangs in Salford as discussion points as well. You can also make links to the Spoken Language unit through the dialogue of the characters.
    We had a lot of fun with the play, I'd definitely advise you teaching it!