1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DNA profiling

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubilee, Dec 20, 2015.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My daughter has found out that she is 32% English, 25% Irish, 9% Italian, 7% Iberian Peninsula, 2% Asian, 16% other Western European and 6% Scandinavian. The other 3% is made up of statistically insignificant origins (under 1% each).
    I'm going to get tested in the New Year to find out what my percentages are when her paternal Englishness (and Scandinavian?) are not in the picture. My parentage is Irish and Italian.
    I hope to persuade my parents to do the mouth swab test too.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Won't most of us be a similar mix?
    With my hair colour - still blonde with no hint of grey at 60 - I fancy that I might be of Viking stock. MrDt reckons he has Spanish blood and I like to think he is the result of an Armada invasion. Swash and buckle!

jomaimai likes this.
  3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The Armada connection has occurred to me too. Some Armada ships were blown off course and landed on the west coast of Ireland which could account for the Iberian link in daughter's DNA. However, my mother's maiden name has strong hints of a connection with Spain. I'm hoping that my my parent's profiles will establish where the link comes from.

ScotSEN likes this.
  4. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Oh sounds interesting.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm not sure i want to know
    Searching the family history was bad enough :D

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Is he perchance a good swimmer? Most of the Armada that escaped the battle was sunk in storms whilst taking the long route back to Spain via Scotland.

Worth noting that different DNA tests tell you different things - they're not all the same.

Basically we're all African - what varies is the route we took out of there to get here.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think that some landed on the West coast and were slaughtered by the natives albeit they were co-religionists.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My maternal haplogroup derives from the North Caucasus. That makes sense. I like the cold.

The biggest surprise was the 0.2% N African! But I do tan easily.

I did mine through 23andme. Fascinating. Well, I found it so. And continue to do so as, due to the database extending, they are now able to find more strong links between traits and particular genes. So I have a gene associated with misophonia. That's a recently discovered link and it just resonated so much with me!