1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DNA food intolerance testing!?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by the apprentice, Jul 8, 2011.

1. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

Wondering if it's worth a go!? Anyone been tested by a firm called 'Know your Body', apparently they use the latest DNA testing to see what food allergies or intolerances you have.. Just by a hair sample sent via the post.
    I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and although symptom free at the moment thought it might shed some light onto why I have flare ups!? I personally put UC down to stress but wondered if it was worth a go to see if l have any main intolerances.
    Anyone think it's just a waste of money, it would cost around £80
    Thanks

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's a scam.
    Pseudoscience babble.

3. most of them aren't genetic. Or a gene only suggests you're more prone, if they even know that.
    It's b****cks. Pure and simple. Please DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Con artists
    The only way to establish real allergies (i.e. itching, inflammation, perhaps as bad as difficulty breathing and anaphylaxis) is to do the patch testing.
    Intolerances can only really be established by taking something out of diet for a while, seeing if symptoms improve then slowly adding back in and seeing if symptoms come back.
    Often, it's going to be a particular combination of things anyway, including stress, so finding out definitively is unlikely.

4. Is that even possible?

People develop food allergies and inolerances, but their DNA doesn't change.