1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DNA extraction

Discussion in 'Science' started by biodust, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Does anyone have a good method for DNA extraction? I have tried extracting DNA from onion cells using this method http://www.accessexcellence.org/AE/ATG/data/released/0508-LanaHayes/onion.php but my students (Year 12) haven't been able to see anything worthwhile. I have 24 students in my Year 12 class so space for practicals is a concern (plus head tech will go mad is I need to order anything expensive!)

Cheers

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I've done it with kiwi fruit - basically the same method though.
    P

3. it works well from frozen peas, using protease and ice cold ethanol, I can't remeber the exact method, but I can send you the protocol in the new year if you are interested. Its a SAPS method. always works well for our lot.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The key is in the last step where you gently pipette the ethanol down the side of the tube to form a distinct layer. The DNA forms at the interface and takes a few minutes to do so. Squirting it in quickly and then shaking vigorously means you see nothing.