1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Djembe drums

Discussion in 'Music' started by dropje, May 15, 2012.

1. dropje

dropje New commenter

I have 4 full size that need re-skinning. Is it worth it or should I buy 4 new ones?

2. dropje

dropje New commenter

I have 4 full size that need re-skinning. Is it worth it or should I buy 4 new ones?

3. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

I can barely stand the anticipation...5...4...

4. It depends on how much you paid for your drums in the first place. If you bought budget drums it's quite likely that it will be more cost-effective to replace them, especially if you would have to pay a courier in both directions as well as the skinning charge.
    b.ayengio@yahoo.co.uk

5. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Well done b.ayengio. I didn't even get past 3. How often do you skin up my friend? Lennox

6. thin lizzie

thin lizzie New commenter

I'd also be interested in hearing others' opinions on this as I too have djembe for re-skinning. My djembe cost approx £50 -£70 each. Any ideas how much it cost for re-skinning and where I can send them?

7. I needed three drums re-skinning, I found a supplier, and a video on Youtube on how to do it, ...the supplier however, has taken for ever to send the skins so I have given up and am about to buy new djembes.
    My advice would be to buy new drums, they are quite cheap these days, it just isn't worth the hassle.

8. bod99

bod99 New commenter

If any of you ARE booting out drum shells I'd love to take them off your hands - I want to have a go at re-skinning some myself!

9. I had a drum back from reskinning recently that had been sent off before I started at my school.
    It cost us £80 for it to be done by a local drum person working from home.
    Unfortunately Im'm now in the poosition where I need 4 more reskinned and thinking along the same lines as you...

10. There are many hours work in it and someone who knows what they are doing won't necessarily do it any quicker, because they will instead take care doing it better.

11. Better than they did each previous time, that is.

12. dropje

dropje New commenter

Have dediced to donate the shells to a local person an dwill buy new ones. It's such a shame, seems very wasteful.

13. If you are going to do it yourselves, here's a tip:
    If using a salted skin, don't use a coloured disinfectant! I had a skin turn a startling green colour recently, perhaps because the salt in the skin acted as a mordant for the green colouring in the pine disinfectant I used. It has never happened before, but I am going back to unsalted for the time being, till I have used the green disinfectant up!.

14. I could reskin them for you, as we make drums and reskin others, the website is www.dragondrums.co.uk for those who need to have a look. We have a lot of skins in at present from goat, deer, antelope and i can get hairy or non hairy.What size are the djembies? if you could send me a photo to the info@dragondrums.co.uk i can work out a price. Also where abouts in the country are you?
    Mark Dragon drum maker, and DT teacher

15. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Or you could just buy the plastic ones that don't need maintenance. They're more durable, cheaper and frankly, at school level the sound is fine. Seriously, how many 11 year olds are going to worry about the sound of an expensive drum vs a cheaper one?